False Bottom Questions

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
fraksocks

False Bottom Questions

Post by fraksocks » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:08 pm

I would like to put a false bottom in my new tank. I got the egg crate stuff but I'm unsure how to cut it. It seems like it's rather brittle and might shatter or break awkwardly if I try cutting it with the wrong tool. Any suggestions from people who have already done a false bottom?

CallaLily

Re: False Bottom Questions

Post by CallaLily » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:29 pm

I used wire cutters to cut each individual plastic bit to cut it to size. I'm not sure if it's the best way but it worked for me.

Topic author
fraksocks

Post by fraksocks » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:19 pm

Thanks. That's what I was thinking about using but my mom and the guy at the hardware store seemed to think it was a bad idea.

Ok next question...what's the best way to measure so I get it to the correct size?

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:22 am

I used side cuts
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:21 am

fraksocks wrote:Ok next question...what's the best way to measure so I get it to the correct size?
This is where I made my husband help because I just knew I'd measure wrong. :lol: You want it to be a pretty snug fit.

4happycrabbers

Post by 4happycrabbers » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:29 am

Is a False bottom needed? I founds lots of people keeping frogs talking about false bottoms but not much here. I am upgrading my tank soon and want to do it right.
Thanks.
Under our roof we have: 2 moms, 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 bear/dog, and 5 crazy crabblers. Rainbow (benevolent overlord) Paulie (tree dweller) Calico jack (treasure hunter) Peg leg (finally has all his leggs) and Ann bonnie (the baby)

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:59 pm

4happycrabbers wrote:Is a False bottom needed? I founds lots of people keeping frogs talking about false bottoms but not much here. I am upgrading my tank soon and want to do it right.
Thanks.
I wouldn't say you have to have one but it definitely gives me peace of mind where flooding is concerned. I only have it in one of my crabitats. I'm planning to put one in the other too, if I ever get around to figuring out some way to do a topper on it to give it more height.

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:02 am

I didn't know to make one and lost 2 crabs to a flood. I had to get rid of 250 lbs of substrate, clean the tank, build the bottom and set the tank back up. Running errands to get everything and a break for lunch plus the time on everything seems ended up taking me 17 hours to fix. You NEED a false bottom.
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

Breeezy

Post by Breeezy » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:20 pm

It can't hurt to have one. Egg crate is super cheap. You just cut one little square at a time!
4 Purple Pinchers (Hodor, Spree, Rosie, Leonardo, and Lucy), 1 Strawberry (Denver), 4 Ecuadorians (Dexter, Leeloo, Ghost, and Dr. Zoidberg)
1 Pembroke Welsh Corgi (Thorin)

IMS08

Post by IMS08 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:24 pm

What is a false bottom? What does it look like?

Breeezy

Post by Breeezy » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:49 pm

IMS08 wrote:What is a false bottom? What does it look like?
Here's a couple tutorials written by some other people online. They're very common in vivariums.

http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-terra ... ottom.html

http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/153 ... ttoms.html

http://www.amphibiancare.com/frogs/arti ... ottom.html

Some people even use hydroballs rather than egg crate!
4 Purple Pinchers (Hodor, Spree, Rosie, Leonardo, and Lucy), 1 Strawberry (Denver), 4 Ecuadorians (Dexter, Leeloo, Ghost, and Dr. Zoidberg)

Cydonia1

Post by Cydonia1 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:25 pm

will these hold the weight of all the sand though? Thats the biggest thing I'm worried about for when I take everyone out next year for the big clean when I make mine. The substrate that the frogs use seems to be alot lighter and less of it.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:11 pm

My false bottom is PVC pipes, egg crate, and the garden weed stuff with 12 inches of sand castle consistency play sand with cocofiber mixed in on top. I used more PVC pipe supports than the site I used as a guide recommended but it's holding well.

Breeezy

Post by Breeezy » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:16 pm

Cydonia1 wrote:will these hold the weight of all the sand though? Thats the biggest thing I'm worried about for when I take everyone out next year for the big clean when I make mine. The substrate that the frogs use seems to be alot lighter and less of it.
Yeah egg crate can hold! It's super thick. I can't break any with my bare hands, so I don't see why it wouldn't hold up to the weight of sand. The sand will go through the holes. It's just designed to keep the water on the bottom if any excess collects, away from crabby access.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:10 pm

Breeezy wrote: The sand will go through the holes. It's just designed to keep the water on the bottom if any excess collects, away from crabby access.
That's why you use weed block. ;) The egg crate a PVC are just to lift it up off the bottom of the tank and for support. The weed block keeps the sand from falling through. I see crabbers putting plastic needlepoint canvas over the weed block to prevent crabs from punching holes in it too.