ANOTHER dumb newbie question! Do hermits 'hibernate'?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Lady Clutz

ANOTHER dumb newbie question! Do hermits 'hibernate'?

Post by Lady Clutz » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:05 am

SOOOOOO, This is probably a dumb question, but almost all of my hermmies have buried themselves, they didn't look like they needed a molt. They had very bright color, and were all hairy, which I know wears off? Do hermmies hibernate? 2 of them are newer additions, are they just trying to acclimate? It's VERY dry here and I've tried to make sure that they have enough moisture, but sometimes it gets below 70%. Any insight would be awesome, I don't want to go digging and disturb them in a molt. Thanks!!
“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx

hermieluv1

Re: ANOTHER dumb newbie question! Do hermits 'hibernate'?

Post by hermieluv1 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:24 am

I don't think they hibernate, per se, like a bear, but they do dig down to destress. I guess you could think of it as a sort of hibernation.

I recently found a new crab buried a couple of inches down, who I hadn't seen in several weeks. He was not molting (no cave, totally surrounded by sub). I thought he was dead, since he was tight in his shell and not moving.

Lo and behold, I thought I would just make sure so moved him into the new 55, walked away, came back, and he was walking away!! So I guess he was kinda hibernating! I still don't understand how they can survive that long without food, water, or air. They are truly amazing creatures!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:51 am

When it's sudden, it's a good idea to double check conditions and the gauges to make sure they're still working properly. A lot of the time it's just crabs being crabs, but every so often it's a sign that something is off. Thermometers and especially hygrometers can break without warning. But yeah, crabs will bury for no reason! It's impossible to say for sure if they are molting, or destressing, or just hanging out underground. That's why it's never safe to dig up a buried crab.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:41 am

Hermit crabs in the wild stay in warm climates, so there is no need to hibernate. However, for molting and destressing, they can stay under for several months, buried in the darkness, and their bodily functions/metabolism probably slows down in a hibernation-like rest state.
If all of your crabs seem like they're "hibernating" to get away from something perhaps there is some helpful tank editing to be done in order to increase activity in your tat.
Proper humidity can boost activity, and it is more humid below surface. After you go over your conditions in the help request form (viewtopic.php?t=46102) we might be able to help you with that. Please fill it out at your convenience, and we will see what we can do. Image

Crabbers unite!!!