Dug up Molters

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
MuseCrazy

Dug up Molters

Post by MuseCrazy » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:53 pm

So I started digging today and found my first mid molt crab. :/
No fish smell but absolutely no movement at all and legs are a bit wonky, probably my fault with all the digging I did. Also doesn't look like any exo was eaten yet. ImageImageImage
I'm not sure who this is but they are in a tote with one other live crab, Ruby. I will move Ruby with the other live crabs once I get home. I will leave the molting crab in the tote. How long should I wait though?

CallaLily

Re: General update on me and my crabs

Post by CallaLily » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:04 pm

So sorry about your crabbie. I would leave her ISO'd with her remaining exo until she's up and about acting normally. Perhaps we should move this last posting over to the Molting section where it would get more notice from crabbers with more advice?

Topic author
MuseCrazy

Re: General update on me and my crabs

Post by MuseCrazy » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:14 pm

CallaLily wrote:So sorry about your crabbie. I would leave her ISO'd with her remaining exo until she's up and about acting normally. Perhaps we should move this last posting over to the Molting section where it would get more notice from crabbers with more advice?
Yep I was going to start another thread there, but then I thought I'd just get on pc and try out my new mod powers lol.

Found another molter, an E this time. I think it's Chip. He wiggled a leg so I know he's alive but still hardening. Also didn't eat much of his exo
ImageImage

CallaLily

Re: Dug up Molters

Post by CallaLily » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:42 pm

MuseCrazy wrote:Yep I was going to start another thread there, but then I thought I'd just get on pc and try out my new mod powers lol.

:lol: Makes good practice. :D

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:49 pm

Digging for molters is always full of bad surprises. :(

Wait for a smell on the first crab. If s/he did die, it was very recently. She's too intact to have been gone for long. They're in a type of hibernation mode when molting, so while most will clam up tight when disturbed, some can act very unnaturally. Never call it unless you're sure.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:01 pm

Oh duh, I wasn't thinking in terms of possible loss. :( I hope she pulls through.

Topic author
MuseCrazy

Post by MuseCrazy » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:29 pm

Lol that's a great pic Calla.

Out of the 7 I dug up those were the only two in mid molt. The other 5 look like they just finished or were just about to, one looked pretty ashy. I think I had a loss, found parts but no shell. I will have to do a recount when I get to the new location and get everyone settled

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:40 pm

If you haven't, please make sure to keep the ones you dug up separate from other crabs until you know for sure they are active and eating and okay. They can molt or remolt even if they seem okay at this moment, and if they are weak they are easy prey for the others. I have had crabs that I dug up (back when I started) that were pulled limb from limb within a few minutes of being placed with other crabs. It's horrific and completely preventable.

Topic author
MuseCrazy

Post by MuseCrazy » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:04 pm

wodesorel wrote:If you haven't, please make sure to keep the ones you dug up separate from other crabs until you know for sure they are active and eating and okay. They can molt or remolt even if they seem okay at this moment, and if they are weak they are easy prey for the others. I have had crabs that I dug up (back when I started) that were pulled limb from limb within a few minutes of being placed with other crabs. It's horrific and completely preventable.
The tote I had the ones that I dug up has 6in of sand and all but 3 dug back down in there so leaving it as an ISO, and putting those 3 with the others

kadynadair16

Post by kadynadair16 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:43 pm

I'm kind of lost. Why were you digging your molting crabs up??

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:48 pm

kadynadair16 wrote:I'm kind of lost. Why were you digging your molting crabs up??
She's moving, and the tank is too large to try and move with the crabs in place. There's a topic up in Chit Chat.

kadynadair16

Post by kadynadair16 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:57 pm

Owe okay! Sorry about that

Topic author
MuseCrazy

Post by MuseCrazy » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:37 pm

kadynadair16 wrote:Owe okay! Sorry about that
Yep I waited as long as I could for most of them to come up but the digging was inevitable.
I have good news and bad, the good is that my wonky PP is alive and ate most of her exo. The bad news is she's completely naked, the 2 E's that were in the tote with her are no where to be found on the surface. I am going to move her to one of the 10 gallons that I already had set up when I first moved all the crabs that were up. I really hope it's not Lashes (the crab in my icon) she's one of the 3 originals that I actually purchased all my other crabs are adoptions except for the straws so if she doesn't pull through it'll be a real blow :/
I'm still finishing the 150 gal but all of the crabs that were up are in there. I'm pretty sure I have to start the salt water tank all over again, not happy about that. Moving sucks lol.

Topic author
MuseCrazy

Post by MuseCrazy » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:57 pm

Here she is, weak but holding on. I'm going to give her some salmon, eggshell, bee pollen, and honey. Image

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:06 pm

Poor sweet girl.
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above