Super frustrated!! Temp/humidity battle!

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
grandlinegirl

Post by grandlinegirl » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:05 am

I am about ready to pull my hair out!! And I don't want to do that, because I just got a few purple extensions!!!

I've been having a heat/humidity battle with my tank since I set it up. I had one Zoomed uth on it rated 50-60 gallons (and it's a 30 gallon tank) and that wasn't cutting it even when it was insulated with tinfoil, cardboard and styrofoam. So I bought another one and added it. It brought my temp up to an acceptable level... but then it went up to the high 90s and that high temp just eats my humidity up. It's been sitting around 50-60% (and yes, I just tested the hydrometer like 3 days ago). It goes to the right level when I mist the tank but it quickly disappears and goes back down.

Frustrated, I took the styrofoam off the back to see if that would drop the temps a little. Didn't work. I took the tinfoil off to see if it would drop... didn't work. Temp was still about 95. Frustrated, last night I took the insulating cardboard off and voila! Temp went down... to 72!!!!

The only thing I can think of is to get one of those heatmat thermostats on my next pay. My big tank is going to have an Ultratherm and I've heard nothing but good things about them. If I use a thermostat with the Ultratherm on the 150 gallon, do you guys think it would help? Because I'm going crazy. Big tank will also have a humidifier so I'm not overly worried about that.

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:23 pm

Do you use bubblers? Bubbly pools make crazy humidity. A bubbler is basically a humidifier INSIDE your tat. Plus crabs LOVE bubbles. I watched a crab bath his eyes in bubbles for like 10 minutes. I'm totally convinced bubbles= crab spa massage.
And Ultratherms are da sexy. Stop buying the Zoomeds, if you can afford them retail. You will see, you will seeeeeeeeeee!!!

Crabbers unite!!!

ETA: OYEA! And yes i guess the thermostat would work, but doesnt it cost $60+?? A $10 air pump and $30-$40 6x47 Ultratherm would cost less than that. Plus if the hydrotherm breaks, ya know..

ETAA: My ultratherm holds temp at 82 through my tank, uninsulated, in the coldest room (by the window), and is very, very good looking. Looks like my tank is wearing a pinstrip suit, how dapper!

Topic author
grandlinegirl

Re: Super frustrated!! Temp/humidity battle!

Post by grandlinegirl » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:19 pm

I have tried a bubbler in the tank but it didn't make a difference. I thought it would. I'm starting to think my tank is out to make me crazy.

Yeah they're about 60. I just had to buy one for my new snake.

I'm hoping the ultratherm and added bubbles in the pools will be good enough for my big tank.

Won't know until I finish the sand!!

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:44 pm

Can you post a pic of your tat? Bubblers made my tat 99%+ humid all the time! I could only lower it by airing my tank out. Now, i maintain 82% by only misting 1x a month. The condensation is SERIOUS in my tank. Maybe there are tweaks you can make ans retry the bubbler??

Crabbers unite!!!

hermieluv1

Post by hermieluv1 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:57 pm

Do you have moss pits? I have big bubbling pools and 3 moss pits and my humidity is always TOO high, and I have to vent it.

Sydthesquid345

Post by Sydthesquid345 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:19 pm

Try putting damp cloth over the tank

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:45 pm

And where do you have your gauges? It's ok if you only have patches of humid air. Ultimately the crabs can go under or submerge for a boost.
How's your sub? Maybe it has lost moisture over time and needs a moistening, and as a result is stealing the humidity in the air?
And what type of lid are you using?

Crabbers unite!!!

Topic author
grandlinegirl

Post by grandlinegirl » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:43 pm

YYWW wrote:Can you post a pic of your tat? Bubblers made my tat 99%+ humid all the time! I could only lower it by airing my tank out. Now, i maintain 82% by only misting 1x a month. The condensation is SERIOUS in my tank. Maybe there are tweaks you can make ans retry the bubbler??

Crabbers unite!!!
I will once I get home!
Do you have moss pits? I have big bubbling pools and 3 moss pits and my humidity is always TOO high, and I have to vent it.
I do have a large moss pit but the high heat dries it out within hours >.< I mist it all the time to keep it moist.
And where do you have your gauges? It's ok if you only have patches of humid air. Ultimately the crabs can go under or submerge for a boost.
How's your sub? Maybe it has lost moisture over time and needs a moistening, and as a result is stealing the humidity in the air?
And what type of lid are you using?
Gauges are in the middle of the tank, sitting about 2 inches off the sub. I think the sub is okay except for the top layer. I mist that 2-3 times a day, too. I'll check the sub when I get home. My lid is a fish tank lid with almost all holes covered with saran wrap/tin foil. I'm looking forward to my new tank with a solid glass lid!

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:08 pm

Try weighing the saran wrap and aluminum down with something to make it more solid, so that only 10%-20% is open. I had a mesh lid covered 20% with saran wrap and it kept humidity stable. However it WAS only a 10gallon.. 2-3 times a day misting with no lamps seems like a lot to me. Is there a false bottom? Could something be wicking moisture from your sub somehow?
I'm kinda baffled that you're having such issues with no lamps, and UTHs only. Are you in a especially dry climate? Like nosebleeds every week?

Crabbers unite!!!

Topic author
grandlinegirl

Post by grandlinegirl » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:09 am

Yes it's pretty dry here. And cold. And yucky. Haha

I left the insulation off the back and laid a blanket over the tank. I held 82-83 temps and 72-73 humidity yesterday so once I bump the humidity up I should be good.

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:52 am

Ok! Glad you found a fix!

Crabbers unite!!!

Crabbzymagnus

Post by Crabbzymagnus » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:13 am

These kinds of humidity problems makes me appreciate living in my warm and humid country....Its good for the crabs,but not for the humans living here!Our perspiration doesn't evaporate very fast so it tends to become hot and stick which is very uncomfortable....