Wounded crab

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
soilentgringa

Wounded crab

Post by soilentgringa » Thu May 21, 2015 11:35 pm

So I don't really know what to think of this but one of the little devils went and pinched Ms. Krabs (the remaining of our 1st two crabs ever).

I was taking pics after cleaning and fluffing the sub and found 3 completely decayed (2 no exo in sight and 1 with empty exo). So there are 4 unaccounted for in the portions of the tank I didn't disturb.

Anyway I was scrolling through my pics and Ms. Krabs has what looks like a pinch wound on her back!

Is this what I think it is? She seems to be doing fine, eating honey and worm castings and scrabbling around, perhaps a molt will fix her up?

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Wounded crab

Post by wodesorel » Fri May 22, 2015 2:23 am

I've never seen it doubled like that, but one-sided in that location is a very common injury to have. Whether it's from a crab or from a parasite I've never been able to confirm. The first time I found one hurt like that I looked into it as much as I could and found reference to a type of parasitic gill fluke that can tunnel in through exo, but it wasn't on land hermits but other types of crustaceans. It would also be in the exact location where another crab would grab to try and rip it out of it's shell. I can't imagine that any crab would leave itself vulnerable to a pinch in that location from another crab, but odder things have happened.

What I can tell you is that it does heal completely, but it often takes two or more molts before there's no sign of it. I've had multiple crabs over the years found in varying staged of healing, and eventually it will blend in to where you can't see it anymore. My first crab Goji was one of them!

Judging by the coloration around it (remember, they can't change their exo color once it's formed) I would actually say that's one molt into healing already. When it happens it can be extremely deep, and it's too much material for them to try to regenerate at once. Legs they can reform in one go, but anywhere else seems to be much more difficult for them to do.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
soilentgringa

Re: Wounded crab

Post by soilentgringa » Fri May 22, 2015 11:08 am

Thanks Wode! I will try to get a better shot of it if I can without stressing Ms. Krabs, it looks like two puncture wounds so I immediately thought of that big pincer action! We have a ton of shells, 4 of that exact one even!