How Do I Polish My Shells?

Archived seashell-specific information.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:34 am

i have been hunting for 2 days all over the place to see if this is doable. does anyone know what will work?

Topic author
lpshiner

Post by lpshiner » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:43 am

I bet it would, but I wouldn't use regular polishing grits as I am afraid they would get packed down into the shells. For polymer clay polishing in a tumbler, they use strips of denim cloth (white- no dyes) or even micro polishing papers cut into strips instead of grit. That would work, I bet, but might take a long time....the polishing papers aren't cheap either. Regular sandpaper might work for the first pass-but again, I would try it with an old shell you don't care about, and after polishing I would rinse thoroughly to remove grit, and then I would break that shell open to determine if it was really coming clean afterwards... Other options might be a dremel polisher or a buffing wheel if you have access to either of those.... Let us know if you try it!

Topic author
Margaret

Post by Margaret » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:53 am

I knew someone who tried this and the tumbler was not discerning (meaning it smoothed down high parts -like the tip of the shell- too much and left low lying parts unpolished). That may have been a result of using grit, though. You might have different results with one of the other polishing materials that Lynn mentioned. As far as I know, Homer&Dude tried using a dremel on one of his shells. I don't know how that went, but I recall that it was taking a long time. I had a magpie that was thick with calcium deposits, and I soaked it in a vinegar and water solution and scrubbed it with a toothbrush. It didn't "polish" the shell, but it did get all the crud off.I always oil my shells with a soft cloth (I use DH's old undershirts - they are soooo soft). If they are going into the tank I use olive oil. This imparts a beautiful shine and brings out the natural colors of the shell. If you aren't trying to do something more dramatic, you could try oiling your shells.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:23 pm

If you just want to get the sediment off, soaking them in vinegar works wonders. I just did that today... ironic.

Topic author

The Magpie shell that I got for my Jumbo was covered in this white thick chalky stuff with red spots every where so I took my Hubbys Dremell and it came off and polished nicely.. Good LuckSandra

Topic author
ibstitchin

Post by ibstitchin » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:23 pm

Ohhh, I have a dremel. I didn't think of that. I'm not so worried about them being shiny, I just want to get the sedements off the shells. Thanks for the ideas and I hope the gal using the tumbler pipes in!

Topic author

IF you use the dremel my tips to pass on are to wear a protective dust mask and sit in the bathtub.