Crab Fails: my crabs fall a lot...

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
CrabMater

Crab Fails: my crabs fall a lot...

Post by CrabMater » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:26 pm

Hi, I've been crabbin since June 2016 and if theres one thing ive learned is that my crabs will climb on just about anything. They are very clever about getting up but coming back down is another matter. Recently John has been making his way to the lid. There's not much to hold on to up there and eventually he tumbles to the sub. Occasionally he slams on something on the way down. Everytime he does fall he immediately rights himself and quickly walks off as if nothing happened. Its a 10 gal so he's only going to get so high. I concerned about shell shatter and impaled abdomens. Am i being a worried Crab Mater?
CrabMater to 2PPs : John & Diana (formerly Cherry Bomb)
Crabbin' since June '16 (RIP Pinchy 7/16 / RIP Dean )

MORE SUBSTRATE!

daws409

Re: Crab Fails: my crabs fall a lot...

Post by daws409 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:42 pm

You know, I would think it doesn't bother them. They live in the wild and there's no telling what they're willing to climb or how far up they're willing to go. My guess is that they fall in the wild as well. Their shell acts as a shield from the hot sun and from predators. So I would think it protects from injuries as well.... You make an interesting point. I would like to know this as well.

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:12 pm

Daws409, u have a point. They are tree climbers and use their shells to protect them from falls as well as from predators:) So, rest assured ur hermies are safe when they fall in the tank:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
CrabMater

Post by CrabMater » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:02 pm

The first time i saw the land snail shells [very thin] immediately thought my crab might get hurt if he was wearing this thin shell and fell. Everybody wears turbo now.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

MORE SUBSTRATE!

GabyRaven

Post by GabyRaven » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:12 pm

While I was reading this, I heard a thump in my tank, BFG just fell off the coconut hut Image But yeah, I think they're fine with falling as long as the shell is sturdy :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:03 am

As Daws said, they have nobody to protect them in the wild. And remember purple pinchers are also called "tree crabs" for a reason. They hang out in the trees. I'm pretty sure they probably fall from them too. XD I used to worry too, but now I crack up when I hear a crash. XD

mool

Post by mool » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:10 am

If you have glass or rocks in your tank, it can be a problem, but regular wood and plastic shouldn't hurt if they fall.

Topic author
CrabMater

Post by CrabMater » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:39 pm

I read about them being tree crabs and vine climbers. I removed all stones from the floor in areas where they like to dangle. Most times they crash to the floor and land on sand. Im glad you guys think about this stuff too.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

MORE SUBSTRATE!