What is your dream pet to own?

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

Topic author
Angel_crab

Post by Angel_crab » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:28 pm

I was thinking last night about how much I would love to own a snake - particularly a green tree snake because their colouring is beautiful and they are fairly docile animals. It got me thinking - what is your dream pet to own?
(Sorry of this topic has been done before)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What is your dream pet to own?

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:42 pm

I have a few, but the 3 major ones would be:
- other hermit crab species, I love my aussies but I'd like the opportunity to see different behaviour.
- Motoro Stingray (freshwater stingray)... I have a soft spot for FW stingrays (and other largish fish, like Oscars, bichirs and large pleco) and would love to own a pair
- ferrets. I love how active they are, they look like an adorable scarf.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Moonlightdreams

Post by Moonlightdreams » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:51 pm

I have a few, haha. :P

Rats! I love rats and I'd love to have one someday.
Ferrets! They're so cute and they seem like great pets. I love them. :D
Birds! Specifically an African Grey. They're beautiful, and so smart. I've never had birds, but I'd love to have one.
More crabs! :wink:
Loving owner of two hermit crabs and two dogs! Call me Moon, Icy, Kermit, or anything you'd like! sheldon_and_peanut (hermit crabs) and sisterchins (dogs) on Instagram.

AndyCrabby

Post by AndyCrabby » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:57 pm

I would love to own some bunnies. I used to own one and they're such great pets
Definitely some bearded dragons, they seem to be docile and super friendly, not to mention being actual dragons
Pigs and cows too, they're just adorable

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Topic author
Angel_crab

Post by Angel_crab » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:52 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:I have a few, but the 3 major ones would be:
- other hermit crab species, I love my aussies but I'd like the opportunity to see different behaviour.
- Motoro Stingray (freshwater stingray)... I have a soft spot for FW stingrays (and other largish fish, like Oscars, bichirs and large pleco) and would love to own a pair

I agree, I love Aussie crabs but I would love to have the opportunity to own some Strawberry or Purple Pincher hermit crabs. I’d love to own an octopus one day! They seem so cool to watch blobing around their tank! Pet stingrays would be so cool! You can adopt ferrets at the RSPCA when someone surrenders one :) I agree, they’d be such a warm scarf in winter haha!

Topic author
Angel_crab

Post by Angel_crab » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:58 pm

Moonlightdreams wrote:I have a few, haha. :P

Rats! I love rats and I'd love to have one someday.
Ferrets! They're so cute and they seem like great pets. I love them. :D
Birds! Specifically an African Grey. They're beautiful, and so smart. I've never had birds, but I'd love to have one.
More crabs! :wink:
Rats and ferrets are so cute! I know someone who has had rescue pet rats for quite a few years now. I love birds and my favourites are cockatoos and rainbow macaws (unfortunately, I can’t own any birds as I have a very inquisitive cat!) More crabs sound great! :)

Topic author
Angel_crab

Post by Angel_crab » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:02 am

AndyCrabby wrote:I would love to own some bunnies. I used to own one and they're such great petsImage
Definitely some bearded dragons, they seem to be docile and super friendly, not to mention being actual dragons Image
Pigs and cows too, they're just adorableImageImage

Aww I love bunnies! At the moment I don’t have any room for a rabbit hutch, but I would love to own a rabbit in the future :) Lizards, especially Blue Tongue Lizards and Bearded Dragons are amazing pets. I have a Blue Tongue Lizard myself, and she’s an awesome and friendly animal to own. Juvenile Bearded Dragons are so cute because they’re so tiny! I agree, pigs and cows are really adorable.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:39 am

Angel_crab wrote:

I agree, I love Aussie crabs but I would love to have the opportunity to own some Strawberry or Purple Pincher hermit crabs. I’d love to own an octopus one day! They seem so cool to watch blobing around their tank! Pet stingrays would be so cool! You can adopt ferrets at the RSPCA when someone surrenders one :) I agree, they’d be such a warm scarf in winter haha!
If I could, I would love the opportunity to get some PPs, Es (love to see if there are any differences between aussies and Es) and Indos (particularly the pink indos). But even then, just visiting the wild and seeing wild aussies was just as amazing, so I can settle for seeing any/all species in the wild.

Octopi are so smart, I could never keep one as I know that they great escape artists and don't make great tank mates with other animals... however, I do understand where you're comming from, but they so expensive and short lived...

Yeah, but my family are opposed to ferrets due phobias and what not - same with most snakes, lizards ect... (cause I'd love a blue tongues....)

But if I had it my way, I would totally be keeping turtles, blue tongues, hopping mice and sugar gliders - they nocturnal, and currently I spend a lot of the time at night so it would be interesting to see their behaviour... but I just love their little membrane 'wings' they have, its so cute!

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

Topic author
Angel_crab

Post by Angel_crab » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:49 am

aussieJJDude wrote:
Angel_crab wrote:

I agree, I love Aussie crabs but I would love to have the opportunity to own some Strawberry or Purple Pincher hermit crabs. I’d love to own an octopus one day! They seem so cool to watch blobing around their tank! Pet stingrays would be so cool! You can adopt ferrets at the RSPCA when someone surrenders one Image I agree, they’d be such a warm scarf in winter haha!
If I could, I would love the opportunity to get some PPs, Es (love to see if there are any differences between aussies and Es) and Indos (particularly the pink indos). But even then, just visiting the wild and seeing wild aussies was just as amazing, so I can settle for seeing any/all species in the wild.

Octopi are so smart, I could never keep one as I know that they great escape artists and don't make great tank mates with other animals... however, I do understand where you're comming from, but they so expensive and short lived...

Yeah, but my family are opposed to ferrets due phobias and what not - same with most snakes, lizards ect... (cause I'd love a blue tongues....)

But if I had it my way, I would totally be keeping turtles, blue tongues, hopping mice and sugar gliders - they nocturnal, and currently I spend a lot of the time at night so it would be interesting to see their behaviour... but I just love their little membrane 'wings' they have, its so cute!

Sugar Gliders are really cute! Their fur is super soft, and I find their eyes the cutest.
I remember watching a tv show called “tanked” and it’s all about people building custom fish, crab and other marine animal tanks and I saw one episode with someone who owned a pet octopus and wanted a custom built tank upgrade for it. That’s how I got onto the idea of owning an octopus. Although, I do agree, they wouldn’t make the best tank mates for fish and other smaller marine animals.

I’d love to be able to see some hermit crabs in the wild some day - but I’m not exactly sure where they originate from in Australia?

Hopefully your family will let you keep a Blue Tongue Lizard because they are really social lizards and they have a very good temperament. Nothing really bothers them, and they don’t put up a fight when it comes to handling. Bindi is still a little too young to take outside to explore, so I’ll have to wait until she gets a bit older.

I’ve always been interested in getting a pet tarantula (bird eating spider from Queensland) but everyone thinks I’m crazy haha!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:44 am

Angel_crab wrote:
Sugar Gliders are really cute! Their fur is super soft, and I find their eyes the cutest.
I remember watching a tv show called “tanked” and it’s all about people building custom fish, crab and other marine animal tanks and I saw one episode with someone who owned a pet octopus and wanted a custom built tank upgrade for it. That’s how I got onto the idea of owning an octopus. Although, I do agree, they wouldn’t make the best tank mates for fish and other smaller marine animals.

I’d love to be able to see some hermit crabs in the wild some day - but I’m not exactly sure where they originate from in Australia?

Hopefully your family will let you keep a Blue Tongue Lizard because they are really social lizards and they have a very good temperament. Nothing really bothers them, and they don’t put up a fight when it comes to handling. Bindi is still a little too young to take outside to explore, so I’ll have to wait until she gets a bit older.

I’ve always been interested in getting a pet tarantula (bird eating spider from Queensland) but everyone thinks I’m crazy haha!

Tanked is a pretty fascinating show, its amazing the ideas they come up with.

If you want to see wild hermies in Aus, go to Broome. In pretty much the centre of the town, towards the bay/sea area there is a mangrove forest... and there are loads of really small hermies (some in shells smaller than .5mm opening... that and loads of mudskippers (would love to own one as well) and flame fiddler crabs (very cute, love to own a crab as well, but a FW one) and mangrove snails... so incredible. If you visit any of the local beaches, you will find many scuttling across the sand as well, if they are popular beaches you have to look across the rock pools and what not, but they are there! If I ever go back, I really want to take some unused shells that my guys dont use and give them some choices to choose from, since there are shell shortages in the wild.

I'm fine with the fact that I can't keep certain kinds of pets, it gives me something to potentually look forward to - especially on days were it feels like the world is against you - and also give me some incentive to move out once I can afford Melbourne's competitive housing market.

They are cute, I also enjoy tarantulas... I would say get one, heard they very low maintainence but not really a 'showy' pet. Have you looked into scorpions - they pretty cool, especially the rainforest aussie natives - or ants? The creepy crawlies in general are so interesting! (Like if I had a spare SW tank, I'd love to have a mantis shrimp... they so cute in a creepy way.

AndyCrabby

Post by AndyCrabby » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:36 am

Angel_crab wrote:
AndyCrabby wrote:I would love to own some bunnies. I used to own one and they're such great petsImage
Definitely some bearded dragons, they seem to be docile and super friendly, not to mention being actual dragons Image

Aww I love bunnies! At the moment I don’t have any room for a rabbit hutch, but I would love to own a rabbit in the future :) Lizards, especially Blue Tongue Lizards and Bearded Dragons are amazing pets. I have a Blue Tongue Lizard myself, and she’s an awesome and friendly animal to own. Juvenile Bearded Dragons are so cute because they’re so tiny! I agree, pigs and cows are really adorable.
After I move out and get a large tank for my hermies I'm considering getting a rabbit. Possibly free roaming,just litter train him and have a night time pen. The idea of coming home to a rabbit greeting is excitingImage

Topic author
Angel_crab

Post by Angel_crab » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:21 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:
Angel_crab wrote:

Tanked is a pretty fascinating show, its amazing the ideas they come up with.

If you want to see wild hermies in Aus, go to Broome. In pretty much the centre of the town, towards the bay/sea area there is a mangrove forest... and there are loads of really small hermies (some in shells smaller than .5mm opening... that and loads of mudskippers (would love to own one as well) and flame fiddler crabs (very cute, love to own a crab as well, but a FW one) and mangrove snails... so incredible. If you visit any of the local beaches, you will find many scuttling across the sand as well, if they are popular beaches you have to look across the rock pools and what not, but they are there! If I ever go back, I really want to take some unused shells that my guys dont use and give them some choices to choose from, since there are shell shortages in the wild.

I'm fine with the fact that I can't keep certain kinds of pets, it gives me something to potentually look forward to - especially on days were it feels like the world is against you - and also give me some incentive to move out once I can afford Melbourne's competitive housing market.

They are cute, I also enjoy tarantulas... I would say get one, heard they very low maintainence but not really a 'showy' pet. Have you looked into scorpions - they pretty cool, especially the rainforest aussie natives - or ants? The creepy crawlies in general are so interesting! (Like if I had a spare SW tank, I'd love to have a mantis shrimp... they so cute in a creepy way.

Thanks for the info about where to find wild hermit crabs. I’ll have to make Broome my next destination in summer :) I love Halloween moon crabs and would love to own one, but they’re only sold in America, and I don’t think I’ll be able to get one through customs.

I’d love to get a Chilean Rose Haired Tarantula, but it seems like the only tarantulas available in Aus are bird eating and trapdoor tarantulas. I find baby scorpions really cute! They’re so tiny when they’re little. I love all creepy crawlies, especially the ones that are more on the dangerous side.

Topic author
Angel_crab

Post by Angel_crab » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:24 pm

AndyCrabby wrote:
Angel_crab wrote:

After I move out and get a large tank for my hermies I'm considering getting a rabbit. Possibly free roaming,just litter train him and have a night time pen. The idea of coming home to a rabbit greeting is excitingImage

Aww sounds cute! I’d love to come home to a rabbit too - my favourite breed is the Flemish Giant Rabbit! :) What breed of rabbit is your favourite?

AndyCrabby

Post by AndyCrabby » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:51 pm

Angel_crab wrote:
AndyCrabby wrote:
Angel_crab wrote: Aww I love bunnies! At the moment I don’t have any room for a rabbit hutch, but I would love to own a rabbit in the future :) Lizards, especially Blue Tongue Lizards and Bearded Dragons are amazing pets. I have a Blue Tongue Lizard myself, and she’s an awesome and friendly animal to own. Juvenile Bearded Dragons are so cute because they’re so tiny! I agree, pigs and cows are really adorable.

Aww sounds cute! I’d love to come home to a rabbit too - my favourite breed is the Flemish Giant Rabbit! :) What breed of rabbit is your favourite?

I have a soft spot for hotot rabbits. They have a ring of black around both their eyes that makes them look like they are wearing eyeliner lol. My first rabbit was a hotot mix so I'm a little bias Image

Topic author
Angel_crab

Post by Angel_crab » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:26 pm

AndyCrabby wrote:
Angel_crab wrote:
AndyCrabby wrote:After I move out and get a large tank for my hermies I'm considering getting a rabbit. Possibly free roaming,just litter train him and have a night time pen. The idea of coming home to a rabbit greeting is excitingImage

I have a soft spot for hotot rabbits. They have a ring of black around both their eyes that makes them look like they are wearing eyeliner lol. My first rabbit was a hotot mix so I'm a little bias Image

Just searched up a picture of a Hotot rabbit, and they are so cute! The black around their eyes really does make it look like they’re wearing eyeliner :)