Beach items to feed?

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
leah610

Beach items to feed?

Post by leah610 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:18 pm

Hello everyone! So I go to school that's located right off a bay, so I visit a small beach that leads directly to the bay in my spare time. Given that I live in Florida there are plenty of mangroves, sea grape trees, tiny shells and bivalve shells. The area is well visited by marine life, and I don't think fertilizers and pesticides are used in the area. What do you guys think about collecting sea grape leaves (fresh and dead), sea grape branches and fruit, and calcium supplements like bivalve shells and seashells? Any precautions I should take? Suggestions?

Here's a bonus video of a tiny saltwater hermit crab I found in the bay just yesterday!

https://youtu.be/l_CuQlwUfNc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Beach items to feed?

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:30 pm

My concern would be that you "don't think" that fertilizers and pesticides are used in the area. You need to know for sure. If you find out that they are not, the sea grape leaves would be great. My crabs love them! Mine love both fresh and dried. Please know that if you are using a public area, I would probably refrain from using any leaves on the ground - you don't know if dogs, or animals have stepped on them. That's my opinion. I would then rinse them with dechlorinated water. I have never tried giving them fruit. The shells would be fine too.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
leah610

Post by leah610 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:11 pm

GotButterflies wrote:My concern would be that you "don't think" that fertilizers and pesticides are used in the area. You need to know for sure. If you find out that they are not, the sea grape leaves would be great. My crabs love them! Mine love both fresh and dried. Please know that if you are using a public area, I would probably refrain from using any leaves on the ground - you don't know if dogs, or animals have stepped on them. That's my opinion. I would then rinse them with dechlorinated water. I have never tried giving them fruit. The shells would be fine too.
I just found out that fertilizers and pesticides are used Image what a shame..do you happen to know where else I might be able to retrieve sea grape items that are free of pesticides and fertilizers? I definitely want to steer clear those areas that do use them, but since I live in Florida I want to take advantage of being able to provide different items in my crabs diet!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:30 am

I sell sea grape leaves in my store.

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com