Nightly menu

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

fandt94

Re: Nightly menu

Post by fandt94 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:43 pm

ApePlanet wrote:Question to all you fantastic people: With such a wide menu, how do you store your crab food and treats. I just know you’ll have some genius ways to share!
Lol I started a thread on this a few days ago!! Right now mine are stored in the cabinet underneath in a gallon ziploc bag...ugh
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:47 pm

fandt94 wrote:
ApePlanet wrote:Question to all you fantastic people: With such a wide menu, how do you store your crab food and treats. I just know you’ll have some genius ways to share!
Lol I started a thread on this a few days ago!! Right now mine are stored in the cabinet underneath in a gallon ziploc bag...ugh
Ooh nice! What’s the thread title?

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:52 pm

ApePlanet wrote:
fandt94 wrote:
“Organizing foods”. :wink:
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:56 pm

fandt94 wrote:
ApePlanet wrote:
fandt94 wrote: Lol I started a thread on this a few days ago!! Right now mine are stored in the cabinet underneath in a gallon ziploc bag...ugh
“Organizing foods”. :wink:
Straight to the point. I like it. Thanks!

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:00 pm

From left to right: Image

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Squid, floral teaz, astaxanthin coconut flakes with raw German honey, cattle blood powder.

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:37 pm

fandt94 wrote:From left to right: Image

Squid, floral teaz, astaxanthin coconut flakes with raw German honey, cattle blood powder.
Fancy buffet! Love how this would blend into the crabitat!

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:35 am

Honestly, I just store everything in the freezer. It will last and it's all dry foods so the temp doesn't matter. Now, all the mixes are in a Ziploc bag, and worm castings and some other larger items are in plastic baby food jars, but for the most part I leave everything in its little baggie. TheHealthyHermit sends them in 2x2 bags with labels so they're easy to organize.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:40 am

Cattle blood powder? Yuck! I'm not sure where you got that - and I'm also not sure I would feed that to my hermits.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:46 am

TomatoaSebastien wrote:I love this!!!!

You have inspired me.... I have been feeding alot of fresh organic foods but don't really see them eating a lot, definitely not like your guys!

I ordered a bunch of mixes from Hermit Crab Patch, I can't hardly wait to offer them a nice variety, like you have done!

Hoping it gets here shortly!!
It was definitely not like this at first. I tried hermies kitchen first. They barely touched any of the food. Then hermit crab patch. They messed with it a little more, but never cleaned out the bowl. These mixes from The HealthyHermit have hit the spot for them!! They also never molted before I fed the other foods. They recently had their first molts and since then they have been way different! And I added some, so I went from 2 to 6.... I only have half up but it's still more than before.
Don't get discouraged! You can do it!! Share your order when it comes in! Can't wait to see what you ordered!

4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:02 pm

GotButterflies wrote:

Cattle blood powder? Yuck! I'm not sure where you got that - and I'm also not sure I would feed that to my hermits.
I agree on the yuck factor but I got it from ChollaQueen on Etsy who sells organic hermit crab foods. Is there a reason you aren’t sure about it?

Here’s what it says about the blood meal:

“Our blood meal originates from organic, free range cattle. It is then sun dried without any chemical pre-treatments. This is an excellent source of protein.”

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:51 pm

ciaraalston wrote:
TomatoaSebastien wrote:I love this!!!!

You have inspired me.... I have been feeding alot of fresh organic foods but don't really see them eating a lot, definitely not like your guys!

I ordered a bunch of mixes from Hermit Crab Patch, I can't hardly wait to offer them a nice variety, like you have done!

Hoping it gets here shortly!!
It was definitely not like this at first. I tried hermies kitchen first. They barely touched any of the food. Then hermit crab patch. They messed with it a little more, but never cleaned out the bowl. These mixes from The HealthyHermit have hit the spot for them!! They also never molted before I fed the other foods. They recently had their first molts and since then they have been way different! And I added some, so I went from 2 to 6.... I only have half up but it's still more than before.
Don't get discouraged! You can do it!! Share your order when it comes in! Can't wait to see what you ordered!

I was going to list all that I have and from where but after I took inventory....um, I may be here a while typing it all out!! :shock: :shock:

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:01 pm

So here’s what I have and from where :shock: :

ChollaQueen (Etsy):

Dungeness crab exo
Cattle blood powder
Organic azomite
Icelandic kelp
Chicken feather powder
Coconut chia mix
Crushed cattle bone
Crushed cottonseed
Oat mix
Dried alfalfa
Org. Blue cornmeal
Indonesian bat guano
Peruvian seabird guano
Fish bone mix
Fish mix
Ground soybean
Hard red wheat berries
Golden flaxseed meal

HUGS FOR HERMITS:

unsalted nat. Walnuts
Kelp covered puffed millet
Mixed wild greens
Popcorn w/dried dandelion
Kelp covered puffed corn
Dandelion leaf
Burning bush
Protein/calcium/veggie biscuit
Coco/raisin mix
Edible wild flowers
Crushed oyster shell
Happy hermit mix
Nori
Greensand
Protein/calci biscuit
Dry roasted mealworms
Mushrooms
Pure org. Coco w/spirulina
Pure org. Coco
Fruit trail mix
Org. Blue popcorn

HERMIT CRAB PATCH:

worm castings
Natural mineral supplement.
Surf n turf
FMR fruit treat

CRABOTANICALS:

Honey hibiscus
Golden cracked corn
Honey duo
Floral teaz
Spirulina
Baobab dusted wild rice
Deep sea mix
Puffed millet
Pineapple kombucha
Calendula blossoms
Astaxanthin coco flakes

And more to come from The Healthy Hermit. :shock: :shock:

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:01 am

So 3 out of the 4 were noticeably eaten. The cattle blood powder, floral teaz almost gone and a bit of the coco flakes. So tonight i left what was left over and just added to each with some randoms.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:00 am

fandt94 wrote:
GotButterflies wrote:

I agree on the yuck factor but I got it from ChollaQueen on Etsy who sells organic hermit crab foods. Is there a reason you aren’t sure about it?

Here’s what it says about the blood meal:

“Our blood meal originates from organic, free range cattle. It is then sun dried without any chemical pre-treatments. This is an excellent source of protein.”
I personally would not use these to feed my crabs. Both of them are slaughterhouse by products. There is also lot of debate between organic and natural. The blood meal doesn't need any chemical pre treatments, because the cows are vaccinated during their life. Plus - blood meal and bone meal are used as soil enhancements for gardening. Please be aware that just because someone sells something, or says something, it doesn't mean that it is correct. You should always do your research if you don't know them. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:06 am

fandt94 wrote:So here’s what I have and from where :shock: :

ChollaQueen (Etsy):

Cattle blood powder
Organic azomite
Crushed cattle bone
:
Your list is huge! And quite impressive! I just wanted to mention that these three items are not on the safe list. I would recommend that you quit serving them. Even though your hermits may like them, we don't know what long term affects they may have. That is just my recommendation. Better to be safe than sorry.

Edit: I looked at ChollaQueen's Etsy. She sells natural and organic food, not just organic. A majority of her sales are Cholla. I noticed her Dungeness crab exoskeleton is all machine processed - which leaves me to believe that is also another by product she is selling. She must purchase that from a company that sells crab meat - because I noticed she doesn't sell the meat.