Crab buried in moss

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Mittmom

Crab buried in moss

Post by Mittmom » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:51 pm

I thought my 3 crabs had tunneled down and buried but today I discovered one in the moss! It was the last one to disappear and has been down about 3-4 days. I was rinsing the moss when I found it. I put it back into the terrarium in the log where they like to hide. Just wondering if they ever bury in moss to molt, or could it be it was just resting or de stressing in the moss...

scuttlecrusty22

Re: Crab buried in moss

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:22 am

I don't think they will molt in the moss, but if your substrate isn't deep enough they might try and seek other options for molting. I wouldn't be worried though if he/she has only been down for a couple of days it was probably just de-stressing or resting :colors:
(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:52 am

A few of mine sleep in the moss during the day.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:34 pm

My guys like sleeping and hanging out in the moss too. As long as your substrate is deep enough and sandcastle consistentcy they should go there to molt.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:03 pm

I have a few that will rest in the moss too. As long as young don’t find exo in there he’s probably just hanging out.

Rod♡Salty♡Bob♡Squirt♡Crabina♡Who
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers <-♡-«