small crab hasn't molted for a little bit more then a year, starting to get worried

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Xenpurgisnachttt

small crab hasn't molted for a little bit more then a year, starting to get worried

Post by Xenpurgisnachttt » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:53 am

Heya guys, My smallest crab ( she's a small/medium I believe ) Tukiyo has yet to molt; I've had her for a little more then a year now and she has yet to molt, or show any signs of molting via digging, etc.

I had 2 other crabs, Odin and Iwao-

Odin molted back in january, but I had to move him because of the risk of him sitting in bacterial-bloom water- thankfully he was just eating the last bits of his endoskeleton and ''charging up'' persay. He's a large.

Iwao to anyone who's read my posts was my other small male who sadly passed away to June due to circumstances I still don't understand, but it has seemed to be an incredibly stressful surface molt, Tukiyo and Him was roughly the same size.

I have gotten all three of them the same time last year and I know smaller crabs tend to molt more often and Tukiyo has yet to molt, but she hasn't shown any direct signs of being sick or ill. She's always been on the shy side of the spectrum, ever since I got her she rarely eats and tends to stick in one spot most of the time, unlike Odin who tends to be more active in moving, and whenever I throw the food dish down tends to run right towards it; with no molting signs from Tukiyo though I'm starting to get worried something is wrong, any advice?

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: small crab hasn't molted for a little bit more then a year, starting to get worried

Post by curlysister » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:03 pm

What is your set up like? Sub type and depth, temp and humidity, water and food?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Xenpurgisnachttt

Re: small crab hasn't molted for a little bit more then a year, starting to get worried

Post by Xenpurgisnachttt » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:48 pm

7-8 Inches of a mixture of Eco Earth, playsand, and a little bit of moss in it- also, temps in the day since it's the summer it stays around 80 degrees in the day, with it dropping to around 74-70 at night- Humidity has always been a little tricky to me, while I have a plastic lid and I try not to over-mist, it seems hop around 70-80%.

There's both salt and freshwater ( prime and instant ocean ) and there food is a large mixture of things such as pre-dried veggies and fruits, to things like crickets, bloodworms, mealworms, and sun-dried shrimp; coated in calcium/vitamin powder.

Topic author
Xenpurgisnachttt

Post by Xenpurgisnachttt » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:12 am

There isnt any direct signs of sickness though