DO YOU HAVE MARINE HERMIT CRAB(S)?

For discussion and photos of all of the non-hermit crab pets we hold dear, including other crab species.

DO YOU HAVE MARINE HERMIT CRABS?

Yes
17%
No
83%

Total votes: 86

Topic author

DO YOU HAVE MARINE HERMIT CRAB(S)?

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:36 pm

Simply stated enough in the title and poll question.

Topic author
Justin

Post by Justin » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:37 pm

Nope only lhc =]

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:02 am

nope. i like them though, always watch them at the pet stores. if only they had freshwater ones...

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:13 am

No, but will be getting some soon. Just still tharshing out the details for a marine tank with only hermit crabs.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:13 am

Yes I have about 136 of them. They are great reef safe pets and take care of that pesky algae that obstructs the view of your pretty fishies.

Topic author

marine crab

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:49 am

we have a male mooncrab going on two yrs now,very beautiful fellow but very shy have seen him out of his cocohut in last two yrs maybe 9 times in total but you can see him under the hut until he gets decides the light is enough and puffs up saying thats enough of that pesky light lol

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:18 am

Want to get them, but I'm not very capable of keeping fish alive. The Beta is a miracle :shock: :D I'd be afraid that I'd kill the poor little guys. They are really cool though.

Jenn

Christa

Post by Christa » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:53 am

There are no doubt some LHC owners (myself included!) who are interested in marine hermies but feel a little intimidated by the whole marine set-up thing.

An alternative poll could say:

Do you have marine hermies?

1. Yes
2. No
3. Not right now but I am considering it
4. I wish I did

I'd probably vote for #3.

hc!
Christa
~~ The HCA ~~ the original and still the best -- ACCEPT NO IMITATIONS
Ting-Tang (Walla walla bing bang!)
Crabbing since 1974
http://www.hermit-crabs.com

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:31 pm

I'd vote for #3. Actuaraly, I'm past considering it, I'm darn right sure of it!

Kilimanjaro

Post by Kilimanjaro » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:30 pm

Marine hermits sound pretty cool, but I don't have any room for them right now. I have all of the shelf room and floor space taken up with all of my other pets. :roll:

Topic author
MudCrabDude

Post by MudCrabDude » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:06 pm

No. I used to, however. One chicken-egg-sized Dardanus megistos.

I also had the following:

Calico crab
3-4 inch Horseshoe crab (it was eaten by the D. megistos mentioned above :( ...back then I didn't know that it was a voracious eater...:()
Edible Mud crab (Scylla serrata, only for two weeks, I returned it to the mangrove...I'm sure it was very happy 8) )

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:37 am

I have one and he is an ornery little bugger since he keeps running around nekkid. I don't know if he just hasn't found a shell he likes or if he is molting or what. I used to have the land hermit crabs and they were easy compared to this little guy whom I named Spaz since he is absolutely nuts. We got him from Petco and are not sure if he is trying to molt or if he is sick or just looking for a new shell or is an exhibitionist and likes to run around nekkid. :shock:

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:23 pm

how large is he? When my MHC molted he stayed inside his shell... he was very, very, very small.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:15 pm

Nope, but i wish i had some marine crabbies. They're so beautiful! But I'm not too good with taking care of fish except for beta :P I might look into caring for them once I get a bit more educated about how to care for them.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:03 am

He's only about 2 inches long from head to the tip of his back end. We got him from Petco and from what I have now heard is that they have A LOT of problems with their tanks and stuff. So I am wondering if he is just really stressed. :?