Screen Lid vs. Glass Lid

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Screen vs. Glass

screen
50%
glass
50%

Total votes: 26

Topic author

Screen Lid vs. Glass Lid

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:53 pm

Which do you prefer screen or glass and why? What size tank do you have? Also what is the highest wattage of heat bulb that a glass lid can withstand (sitting directly on top)
Last edited by Guest on Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rhoney

Post by Rhoney » Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:54 pm

i liek screen lid becuase on hot days you cna just uncover it and on cold days jsut put something over it.
Currently No Hermit Crabs until I am out of college, but I have over 5 years of crabbing experience, and much advice to offer :)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:11 pm

I didn't vote, my lid is neither. You needs a solid lid to keep in humidity, whether that be a screen lid that has some sort of covering, like plastic wrap or a glass lid.
My lid is a modified partial screen lid. My tank was originally used for snakes so it's got a solid wood section with a hinged, lockable door and then 2 screen sections. I cut a hole in the end screen section to let my sunglo lightbulb poke through, since it's longer than my light fixture, then I cut out a section of the screen to create a second hole for accessing the tank. I then took some plastic posterboard stuff and cut it to fit on top of the screen and cut a hole in it too for the light. I put some hinges on another piece and made a plastic door to cover the opening that I had cut in the screen. The middle section of screen I covered with more of the plastic stuff leaving a gap just large enough for my moonglo lights to fit.
On my old tank I used a small aquarium hood and a piece of plywood with a hole cut in it for the sunglo. This lid is much more heat and humidity tight than my last set up though. Before I used to leave the sunglo on for 1/2 hour then off for 1/2 hour to keep the temperature constant, now it only needs to be on for 20minutes an hour to keep the temperature constant. I messed up and accidentally bought the 150W sunglo, next time I need one I'm going to look for a much smaller bulb so I can just have it turn on in the morning and off at night :)

Topic author
Willow

Post by Willow » Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:23 pm

I think glass lids are probably better in general, but I'm clumsy and kept breaking mine :oops: . And they're too expensive to go around breaking. So I use a screen lid now, mostly covered in plastic except for a cut-out for the heat lamp. It's working out great for me.

hermietastic

Post by hermietastic » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:24 pm

I have a mesh lid covered with plastic wrap and paper towels. I really like it, because when I have my heat lamp on I dont have to worry about the glass cracking. :shock:
2 Bombina Orentalis
2 Eublepharis macularius
5 Coenobita clypeatus

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:19 pm

I'm a poor college student so since I upgraded my tank I have no lid. I have a piece of plexiglass cut to fit into the lip of the tank, and it covers 3/4 of the top. The last 1/4 is covered with my hood from my old 10 gallon since I still use the heat lamp on it sometimes, the hood helps to also let airflow through and since its curved it doesn't let out too much humidity.

Topic author
Willow

Post by Willow » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:22 pm

Yeah, that's how I broke the first 2 glass lids. I thought the cats had broken the first one, so I put the new one on and put the heat lamp right back where it was before, and of course the new lid broke, too.......

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:59 pm

I went the glass, just for the stable humidity factor.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:41 am

Thanks everyone for taking my poll! Lots of interesting ideas!

Topic author
Hermit_of_Hermit_Crabs

Post by Hermit_of_Hermit_Crabs » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:22 pm

I have glass, but I have never used screen. Glass does seem to hold in heat and humidity rather well though.

Topic author
hermiefanatic

Post by hermiefanatic » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:00 pm

i prefer screen, i cut a piece of plastic and can rearrange how much of its on the tank to create the ideal humidity. plus i am kinda clumsy :oops: and i broke several glass lids before, they were to expensive to keep replacing and my parents didnt like to clean up the glass.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:13 pm

I have used both screen and glass. My first tank was a firm screen lid. I purchased plexy glass to cover the entire top and CAREFULLY drilled holes in it for air flow. I started with smaller holes and drilled them bigger to adjust the humidity until it was right. Then I placed the screen lid over it for security. It was a 10 gal.
I currently have a 25 gal. terrarium for my crabitat. This has a glass lid. I have a UTH mounted on the side and a 15 watt light from an aquarium on the top. To adjust the airflow I placed little rubber feet on the four corners to lift the lid a bit. With the glass top I can contain the humidity and the heat without needing the high watt bulb, so then no cracked glass.
Both worked equally well, but with the glass lid I seem to be able to adjust humidity and temperature faster.
I to need to look into how hot glass can get before it will break. My UTH stays at about 80 and it's mounted directly onto the glass. The instructions that came with it warned about cracked glass when the glass gets wet and is expose to the heat. So that may be the key.
Let me know if any of these tips work for you.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:56 am

I have a screen lid covered in press-n-seal, with holes cut for the lamps. I have three lamps - a 75W sun-glo, a 75W moon-glo and a 50 W infrared. Since it's starting to get cold, my tank stays at about 76-78. Every couple of days I need to spray the tank for a humidity boost, but that's about it. I find it works well for me.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:36 am

Kabby~B, I just recently switched to a screen lid so I could raise my temp up with a 60 watt. But when I was using glass lids, I used a 40 watt bulb with no breakage, was afraid to go with anything higher tho! I agree that glass is so much easier to keep the heat and humidity regulated, however a 40 watt bulb just doesn't cut it when It only heats my 55 gallon up to 73F and no higher. I do miss my glass lids! Oh, and welcome to HCA!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:43 pm

How can they get oxygen with a glass tank?