Clear bubbles from mouth?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author

Clear bubbles from mouth?

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:22 am

I took David out to play with him for a bit, but I noticed his mouthparts were moving around a lot, as if he was tasting me, and there were clear bubbles coming from his mouth! I was worried that it could be something on my hands, so I put him back in the 'tat. ANy idea what he could have been doing?

Topic author
hermiefanatic

Post by hermiefanatic » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:12 pm

i would just keep an eye on him. its not to hot in the tank is it? :?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:22 pm

Not at all. If it were though, wou;dn't the bubbles be brown?

Topic author
hermiefanatic

Post by hermiefanatic » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:28 pm

yes, they woudld be, although i wasnt sure if they could be clear or not. is he still bubbling?

Topic author
MudCrabDude

Post by MudCrabDude » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:39 pm

If I'm not mistaken, well, at least for other types of crabs, bubbling on land is a sign of respiratory distress (re: having a hard time breathing) usually a result of low humidity and/or internal damage due to stress, parasites, etc.

I've never seen a land hermit crab bubble before, only other land crabs and fish market crabs on the fishmonger slab pretty much on the verge on kicking the bucket (sorry).

Or, hopefully, it's just probably doing an extra grooming habit of this one individual (?!?)

Is it still bubbling, as hermiefanatic asked?

Topic author
MudCrabDude

Post by MudCrabDude » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:45 pm

I would try to increase the humidity in the tank (misting/spraying water) and give it some water or even do an emergency bath/dip in salt or (half and half fresh and salt) water.

Good luck!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:58 pm

Yeah... it might be the humidity... We went with a mesh lid for a while... sand's been dry, but I mist every day... We just got a good non-mesh lid today, working to keep humidity up now.

annopia

Post by annopia » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:57 pm

I've had a ruggie bubble clear fluid before, and I agree that it may be the result of a humidity problem. Also, it could be a sign of stress. I would definatly try to get your humidity up-while not as dangerous as brown bubbling, clear bubbles are still an indication that something is wrong and you need to examine your tank setting. for my one ruggie, it was a result of being in a tank with 40% humidity at the petstore.

Caroline
26 LHC: 6 PPs, 5 Es, 1 Straw, 6 Ruggies, 2 Indos, 1 Blueberry, 4 Violas, 1 Aussie