Shell Usage Habit & Physical Appearance

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
Mokulele_Hawai'i

Shell Usage Habit & Physical Appearance

Post by Mokulele_Hawai'i » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:06 am

This two Komurasakis (C.violascens) are currently wearing the same type of shells ( Tectarius pagodus ). One previously used spindle shell (Pleuroploca filamentosa), while the other used turban shell for years. The hermit crab who previously used turban shell with round opening is proved here having rounder BP compared to other Komurasaki fellows ( that commonly use long shells with oval or smaller aperture ).

No difference seen from their frontal views:
Hermit crab lover since 1981
Founder of "Blueberry land hermit crab" - common name for Coenobita purpureus, and "Zebra Sunset land hermit crab" for a new subspecies of Coenobita violascens

MudCrabDude

Post by MudCrabDude » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:09 am

Interesting!

Kinda reminds me of that C. brevimanus you had that had possesed evenly sized pinchers since it lived in (I believe it was) a PVC pipe (or something) that didn't allow an easy way to create an "operculum" seal with the left claw alone.

Then I think it eventually shrank the right pincher after a molt when you gave it a snail shell to wear.

Topic author
Mokulele_Hawai'i

Post by Mokulele_Hawai'i » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:45 am

This is Kelapa, one of my medium indos who had previously accustomed to use sinistral land snail shells. His right pincer was almost as big as the BP. And after molting, it seems that he has started to follow the pattern of dextral snail shells ( since he does prefer dextral shell to the sinistral ones ). However, he still looks weird when clamming up - look how he seal the shell aperture:

Founder of "Blueberry land hermit crab" - common name for Coenobita purpureus, and "Zebra Sunset land hermit crab" for a new subspecies of Coenobita violascens

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:07 pm

I love their coloring its just wonderful adorable crabs :)

EGcrabber

Post by EGcrabber » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:57 pm

You always have the most awesome crabs! They look terrific. :D
One medium PP: Gizmo

May you rest in peace, Stark, Blue lightning, Rivulet, Floyd, Shocker, Scyfer, Brad, Weasel, and Farik
10 successful molts
2 bad

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:59 pm

Wonderful photos! Gorgeous Crabs!

Do you mean that the BP can change shape during a molt to suit a different shaped opening? Might my picky Ecuadorian someday wear a turbo?

Topic author
Mokulele_Hawai'i

Post by Mokulele_Hawai'i » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:20 am

ZatHermie wrote:Wonderful photos! Gorgeous Crabs!

Do you mean that the BP can change shape during a molt to suit a different shaped opening? Might my picky Ecuadorian someday wear a turbo?
Yeah ... perhaps ... .