Hermit crabs in glass shells

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

tlivs

Post by tlivs » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:36 pm

i personally would assume that the glass would feel quite similar to the mother of pearl inside a lot of crabs' favorite shells

another thing i like about this is that the shell openings are quite large, and for people like b&s's mom who has such a jumbo crab and can't find many shells big enough i think this could be a great alternative
arthur, charlie, ralph, hunter and oliver
rip. benjamin

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:33 pm

kgbenson wrote:
Sooner or later I am going to get some. Would anyone like to place bets that some crabs will not move in, even if provided with natural shell alternatives of equal size?

Keith
I certainly would

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:06 pm

kgbenson wrote:Would anyone like to place bets that some crabs will not move in, even if provided with natural shell alternatives of equal size?
Certainly some crabs won't. But some crabs won't move out of painted shells. I bet there are a few who will love the new digs, and others who won't go near them. If I could ever scrape up the cash I would love to at least give mine the option!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
rdug1

replacement if they don't move in

Post by rdug1 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:14 pm

HI ALL,

I would be willing to exchange the glass shell for another if the Hermit crab does not move in. I have had around 50 crabs who have chosen these glass versions over the natural shells. this is over a period of 10 years. I usually have 5 to 6 crabs only at one time.

How is that for a bet!

Rdug1

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:33 pm

Suebee mentioned that she sent you some E shells to help you replicate them, have you had any success with those?

I would like to give them a try. I have plenty of natural shells to choose from and if the crabs pick glass over the natural shells I think it would be really interesting and educational for my children to see. We like their slug bodies, and the crabs are free to move in and out of whatever shells they choose so why not?

Topic author
rdug1

E shells in glass

Post by rdug1 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:40 pm

Hi

Still working on the E shells in glass. They are much harder to do then the spirals! Will let you know when I have some.

Regards,

Rdug1

clonehappy

Post by clonehappy » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:31 pm

I love em and I would get some in a heartbeat but I'm waiting til hon and I decide if I'm getting a new tank and whatnot. My only thought is their safety if they climbed and dropped ... I'm sure it's fine if they land on the sand of course, but if they clip a resin thingy or whatever. I still want em though lol they are beautiful and you do an amazing job. Keep it up.
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
------------------------
4 PPs
1 Straw
2 Crazy Cats

kgbenson

Post by kgbenson » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:35 pm

Hermitcrazy wrote:
I certainly would
OK - what are we betting? How about this - if my crabs move in - you pay for the shells, up to . . . say three?

Keith

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:26 pm

kgbenson wrote: OK - what are we betting? How about this - if my crabs move in - you pay for the shells, up to . . . say three?

Keith

I just meant I wanted to challenge your opinion... If a hermit crab of yours willingly chooses a glass shell I will be shocked though :wink:

TheCrabbyTabby

Post by TheCrabbyTabby » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:02 am

*sigh*

Can't we all just get along??? Or at the least, agree to disagree on this subject?

My opinion on the matter is this:

While the shells are beautiful pieces of art in themselves, they make me wonder if the transparency of the shells will cause a greenhouse effect within the shell and thus make it overly hot and uncomfortable to the crab. Also, if given in the wild, wouldn't the crabs' abdomens be subject to potentially damaging UV rays that may cause the crab to suffer something similar to a sunburn? I also have reservations with peering at a crabs' unsightly behind on a regular basis. A fleeting glimpse while changing shells is plenty.

If the shells were made opaque then perhaps they would be a wonderful and unique method of shelling homeless crabs in the wild and thus solving the problem of shell shortages.
Please don't breed or buy while shelter pets die! Opt to Adopt!!
I know an awful lot about hamsters, betta fish and many other animals so don't hesitate to ask me if you have an animal related question!!!

Julia Coenobita

Post by Julia Coenobita » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:36 pm

The crabs will move out of them if they don't like them.
There isn't a guarantee that the hermit crabs will like them.
With pet hermit crabs, the crabs are probably a lot safer and feel a lot safer than in the wild- less sunlight, less predators, more humidity, hiding places, etc.
*Julia Coenobita- Crabbing Since 6/3/06*
PPs: Amethyst, Chrysoprase
Es: Apollo