Building Pools & Waterfall (Pic Heavy)

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author
emberfusion

Building Pools & Waterfall (Pic Heavy)

Post by emberfusion » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:20 pm

I decided the 55gal needed a serious renovation, as you can see from the following pictures that my tat was not the best. Though it did hold a temperature of 75-80*F and a humidity of about 80% - that's what my crabs are most active at.

(There is a cocohut underneath/behind the leaves in the last picture)

I decided that I loved the ideas of having pools in my tank so I talked my dad into getting some glass from his uncle and he's helped me quite a bit.

The first step in building my pools and waterfall was to move the crabs out of the main tank and into an isolation tub. I used one of those big plastic storage bins because the 10gal won't hold everything I'd like to have in it. Here's a couple pictures of "The Tub" (as my family has come to call it over the past couple of days). They seem to not mind the tub much as I have seen 6 shell changes in person but have seen them wandering around in more shells than that.

(Steve McQueen is hiding behind the thermometer/hygrometer in the blue shell)

After moving the crabs and cutting the glass, we began gluing it in using a clear silicone. I have pictures of each piece of glass after it was glued in and the ramps after I glued my aquarium gravel to them.

I did glue the flowers to the bottom of the pools, though I did not glue gravel to the bottoms. As far as cleaning is concerned I have filters and a siphon. When needed I will shopvac the water out and clean it like I would an aquarium.

The waterfall will be a couple of days. I need to travel back to my uncles house to get the pump for it and will post pics once it is up and running.

I plan on having leaves/flowers covering the glass around the pools and where the waterfall is to add a nice effect.

I really can't wait to have everything set up and can put the crabs back in. I think they'll enjoy it.

Sorry for all the pictures, but I wanted to share my excitement/journey with others. :)

sugarselections

Post by sugarselections » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:10 pm

Very nice. I've really enjoyed having filtered pools in my crabitat and I'm sure you'll love yours, too.

suebee

Post by suebee » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:11 pm

sorry for the photos? are you crazy, we love seeing photos! I think it is lovely! I hope you dont end up with a algae problem on the flowers but if you do then you can just cut them out. It really looks great. Did you use glass or plexi glass? what kind of glue did you use, you are inspiring me!
I buy from ELHC or HCP, I CANNOT RECEIVE PM MESSAGES SO EMAIL ME,anytime! suebeebuzz@me.com visit my Hermit Crab Dollar Store. Crabbing from aprox 1974- I own 12 Species,On Face Book-Susan Staff's Coenobita Research of New Jersey

Topic author
emberfusion

Post by emberfusion » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:35 pm

I dont think I'll have a problem with the flowers, but if I do it won't be hard to remove them. I really wanted them though to add some color to the tank. :)

Just glass. Each pool holds a gallon of water. I used an aquarium sealant my dad found at lowes hardware. I don't know how much it was, but I can't imagine it was too expensive.

I'm working on adding the plants now so that the tube running from my waterfall has a place to go once I get that pump. I'm really quite happy with how its turned out so far.

I just hope the crabs enjoy it as much as I do. 8)

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:21 pm

Looks great! I know my crabs spend more time in the water now that I have filtered pools. I'm sure your crabs will love it! :D

Topic author
emberfusion

Post by emberfusion » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:34 pm

Thanks, guys. I really appreciate all the compliments on it. :oops:

I have since added some fake plants in the tank and I love the way they look.

kgbenson

Post by kgbenson » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:02 am

Snappy looking pools.

Keith

poncho

Post by poncho » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:32 am

Looks Great!!
wife to very patient husband,mommy to three little ones
PPs Es Violas
Strawberries
Blueberries
Indos

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:25 pm

I'm green with envy ... keep posting pics ... will give me a step by step guide when I make mine :)

crabloverhr

Post by crabloverhr » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:01 pm

great job!

crabloverhr :D

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:28 am

Sorry for the newb question - but help me out here - do the crabbers go into water signifigantly deeper than they are tall? Will they go spash around in the deepend? I'm thinking about a setup like this but depth is a question for me?

Topic author
emberfusion

Post by emberfusion » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:23 am

My smallest crab (just came up from a molt and is now a small, not a tiny anymore) enjoys the pools the most. I often find him wandering around at the very bottom of the pools. :)

I probably wouldn't have made mine so deep, but I'm working on setting my tat up to accommodate some medium/large strawberries.

But, my small crabs don't have a problem with it. They actually seem to enjoy it. Just as long as there's a way in and a way out.

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:25 am

meldamiriel wrote:My smallest crab (just came up from a molt and is now a small, not a tiny anymore) enjoys the pools the most. I often find him wandering around at the very bottom of the pools. :)

I probably wouldn't have made mine so deep, but I'm working on setting my tat up to accommodate some medium/large strawberries.

But, my small crabs don't have a problem with it. They actually seem to enjoy it. Just as long as there's a way in and a way out.
What kind of crab is your little one? PP? Will PP's enjoy this kind of thing as much as an E or other exotic?

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:24 pm

Beautiful job! :)

Topic author
emberfusion

Post by emberfusion » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:31 pm

All my crabs are PPs at the moment.

I'm going to be getting some Straws this summer - that's the main motivation behind building the pools.

But, my PPs enjoy the water.