I HAVE ZOEAE!!!!!

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

Motörcrab

Re: I HAVE ZOEA!!!!!

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:08 pm

This is very interesting, I never really read much about trying to raise and maintain zoea. It seems like 100% dedication almost around the clock. With all of the help you have given me on here if anyone can raise these little crabbies you are one of the best suited for the task! Claws crossed and good luck.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

elly_bananas

Post by elly_bananas » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:09 am

GotButterflies wrote:Hello again! Day 8 - going great! Here is my youtube channel - I have been posting daily videos. I also posted one of them eating, and I am getting ready to post one of my set up. :) Thank you for any well wishes!!! :)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNmSjm ... _as=public
Theyre still so teeny and yet have grown so much already.

P.s. your rings are beautiful!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
She thought she could, so she did!

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:42 pm

Thank you everyone! Yes, complete dedication! Mary and I have joked about why we do this to ourselves! ;) It's insanity! She has so many more than I do - so hopefully between us we can be successful!!!

Elly - you are right...they have grown...and yet are still so small. Thank you for the compliments on my ring! I've earned it! 20 married years!

It's exciting! I'm trying to remain calm, but the furthest I've made it is day 14, and today is day 11 for this group. Slow and steady - just keeping on moving forward with what I have been doing. I'm praying they are successful - that all of our zoeae are successful!!! I've finally had a few minutes to upload today's video. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:00 am

Oh my goodness ~ so my numbers are still declining but I guess I have time to fix my Kreisel. Just caught my Es breeding. The msw pool is all bubbly too- so I can’t wait to check that. Don’t want to spook them. Made a video! They are still breeding!

Edit: No time to fix the Kreisel. They weren't breeding. The male dragged the female and held her underneath the water in the msw pol so that she released whatever eggs she had left in there. Not very many. She must have dumped them somewhere. I'm going to spend more time looking for them, but kind of hard. 100 gallon tank with 67 gallon topper. She is digging down now. He actually went back into the msw and sat there. It was almost like it was a proud dad moment saying, "Hey kids! I'm your dad"! I wish I hadn't have turned off my video when he did that. I did make a small video of him holding her down. Gotta run to the store, and then move my make shift set up to a 20 gallon instead of a 10...like I don't have enough to do.... :) The things we do for our critters!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:10 pm

She dropped most of them in the fw pool, and boy did that stink...not only in a sad way, but really, and it had just happened too.

Didn’t find many live ones in the msw pool. They must have gotten hit with fw. I found 6 , yes only SIX live ones. I added them to my existing bowl of day 12 Zoeae, and dumped the entire contents of my pool in the larger bowl I had just gone out and bought. I added clean msw to it, turned a bubbler on it, and walked away. Hoping for the best, but there is nothing I can do at this point. They eat their egg yolk during this time anyway.

There was an E that wasn’t involved that was sitting over both Pools almost mourning the whole situation. Didn’t even move when I changed the Pools. Here is a picture Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:15 am

Ah. Bummer.

Hoping the few you have left do well for you, shame that the silly gal didn't drop it into the right container!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:55 am

They really are so smart, it’s really cool how the dad took action. Love your videos, thank you for sharing.

♡ Rod ♡ Salty ♡ Bob ♡ Squirt ♡ Crabina ♡
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers »-♡->

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:42 am

RiNiKy506 wrote:They really are so smart, it’s really cool how the dad took action. Love your videos, thank you for sharing.

Theres vids...? How did I miss this?

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

RiNiKy506

I HAVE ZOEA!!!!!

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:45 am

aussieJJDude wrote:Theres vids...? How did I miss this?

On YouTube, I have her in my subscribed list. There’s a link in here somewhere. Click on all her videos, it’s in there somewhere.

Edit: here you go. :)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=40JX6N5V7 ... gw&index=2

Last edited by RiNiKy506 on Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:46 am

RiNiKy506 wrote:
aussieJJDude wrote:Theres vids...? How did I miss this?

On YouTube, I have her in my subscribed list. There’s a link in here somewhere. Click on all her videos, it’s in there somewhere.

Yeah.. just found it!

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:17 pm

Day 13/ Day 2. Not a very lucky day for the zoeae. Just finished my nightly water change and the day 2 guys didn't make it. Considering she first entered the fw pool, I'm not surprised. It's unfortunate.

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:41 am

I’m sorry :(

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:25 pm

Thank you, but it is okay! Everything happens for a reason.

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:31 pm

Day 14...This is as far as I made it last year. I only saw two when I did my water changes today. Let's see how long these little ones can make it. Today when I walked into my crab room I saw four Es sitting together. I kind of imagined them "gossiping" about the one female dropping her clutch in the freshwater pool. Perhaps it was because one of them was the one in the picture above the pools. They looked so funny facing each other too. I should have taken a picture of it!

vlahosm

Post by vlahosm » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:01 pm

Rooting for those guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3 PPs; Fred, Lionel and Alexander