Boil or bake Cholla wood

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
CrabbyGann

Boil or bake Cholla wood

Post by CrabbyGann » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:43 am

New crab owner here 😊 My daughter got a hermit crab from her teacher a few months ago. I’ve been learning all sorts of things about hermit crabs. I bought some cholla wood and cannot find good information on how to sterilize it before adding to our hermit crabs tank. Do I boil or bake? If either, how do I do it? Thank you!

Motörcrab

Re: Boil or bake Cholla wood

Post by Motörcrab » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:16 am

Hello and welcome!

I'm my experience with cholla bought in stores I had the best luck boiling it in dechlorinated saltwater then allowing it to dry out. That will help reduce mold grows due to high humidity.

We started purchasing all of our cholla from BioActiveFX1 on Etsy. Our crabs really seem to prefer their cholla over the store bought type. They also have a great selection of foods too!
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
CrabbyGann

Post by CrabbyGann » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:10 pm

Thank you! I bought ours on Amazon by Substrate Source. I will try your method and next time look at BioActive FX1.

I have the Zoo Med salt water conditioner. Is that ok to use to boil with? Or should I make my own salt water with Himalayan salt (that’s what I have currently).

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:37 pm

If it is the salt water conditioners specifically for hermit crabs it isn't good for hermit crabs. Reading on here you will find that a majority of things marketed and sold for hermit crabs in pet stores aren't safe. Hermit crab food pellets, calcium sand, painted shells, sponges for water are all no good. Himalayan salt unfortunately isn't safe either.

You best and safest bet is to purchase a box of Instant Ocean at a pet store or online. A small box will make 10 gallons and is $10 or less. Seachems Prime is another must have to treat tap water to remove chlorine. A small bottle will last months, maybe years.

I highly suggest reading though our care sheets. They are the easiest way to learn about these pinchy dudes. Here is a link to our water care guide. It goes into way more detail than I did.
viewtopic.php?f=127&t=92553
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:19 am

I've had cholla turn into a giant slime ball by boiling! It depends on how fresh it is, I think.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram