Crab out of shell

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Smooti

Crab out of shell

Post by Smooti » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:48 am

Hello, we have two hermit crabs in a 36 gallon tank. It is half full with a coco/sand mix and has heat and humidity fluctuating between 75/80, a fresh water dish and a salt water dish, plenty of hiding spots and ample shells in similar and slightly larger sizes to what they are in right now. We have had our crabs about 7 years or so, and they are considered large and jumbo.

Our large guy has been up for a few weeks and super active and our Jumbo one has been down (as far as I know- I have not seen him) for several weeks now (maybe 5 or 6?)

Today I came down to find our Jumbo guy, naked, sitting in the fresh water bowl and covered in sand. His shell is no where to be found and I suspect it is under the sub. He hung out in the water bowl for about 2 hours after I found him, and now he has climbed up one of the branches and is sitting on a fake plant. He is dull, grey, slow moving and not very hairy. It does not look like he just molted- usually when he comes up he is bright and vibrant, very hairy and pretty active.

I am very concerned. I rinsed out two similar shells and put them near his water bowl, but he has since moved away from him. The other crab doesn't really seem interested.

What do I do for him?

Topic author
Smooti

Re: Crab out of shell

Post by Smooti » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:59 am

okay, I just went and checked on him and he is in a shell- not his usual shell, but in a shell.

LittleCinderella

Post by LittleCinderella » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:16 am

Thank goodness! What an experience! Has his color improved?

Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:35 am

Sorry no one has jumped in to help, but I’m glad he is safe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:59 am

During molting, shells can get hijacked.

When molting sacs get larger, crabs will move into larger shells. After they molt, and don't have their molt sacs, they sometimes move into their old shells.

I'm glad that your crab has since taken a shell.

I would provide your crab with honey, bee pollen, protein and calcium since he just came up from a molt.

I also wanted to ask if your water pools are large enough for your crabs to fully submerge in and safely get out of by themselves. A lot of us use tupperware containers for our water pools. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Smooti

Post by Smooti » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:03 am

Sorry- I got pretty sick yesterday and spent most of it in bed. He seems fine this morning, though his color has not improved. I do have pools big enough for him to enter, but he can only fully submerge in the salt water pool. I'm looking into deeper pool options now.