I think I hurt my crab

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Gp3tty

I think I hurt my crab

Post by Gp3tty » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:47 am

Hi,
This is the first molt my crab has done since I got it a few years ago, so I had no idea what to do,

So Shelly shedded her skin and a few hours later I picked her up, which I gathered quickly was the wrong things to do

I put her back but I wasn't gentle I'm afraid o hurt it
How do I care for a post molting crab, do I must it with water or leave it be? Should I clean the tank? Do I need to make the water or food closer? Do I need to rinse her off bc I think I got sand in her joints? Did I just kill her by messing with her after her molt, like is she moved her legs a little bc she wasn't comfortable with being handled, but is she going to die bc I handled her too soon after molting? Do I need to get it a new shell- it's had the same shell for a few years and I cannot find a bigger one that it likes anywhere if it needs a new one where do you get your shells and how do I know what kind to get? Thanks all.

Hermiesguardian

Re: I think I hurt my crab

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:33 am

I would suggest posting this in emergency and fill out the questionnaire.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:59 pm

Please do fill out the questionnaire, because if she did a surface molt, something is likely wrong with the conditions.

If you have had the crab for a few years, it is really unusual if she has not molted before. Have there been any times where she was underground for quite a while?
--{}: Dragons Fly Farm --{}:
Resident PP's:"Major Tom" & "Billie Jean"

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Topic author
Gp3tty

Post by Gp3tty » Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:13 pm

Thanks guys, I moved it, she was under the sand when she molted or at least in a hole, and no, not really this is the first time she has shedded her skin in a little over two years 🙂

Topic author
Gp3tty

Post by Gp3tty » Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:13 pm

Moved the post not moved the crab.