Shrimp

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
pearl29mi

Shrimp

Post by pearl29mi » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:29 am

I have a bag of raw frozen shrimp, the ingredients it has on it is just salt. Would it be okay for my crabs to eat? If so, do I feed it raw or cooked? Thanks :)
6 Caribbean Hermies~ Liberty|Spike|Freddie|Pinchers|Pip|

landlubber

Re: Shrimp

Post by landlubber » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:39 pm

I would not, because of that salt.
6 PPs, 4 Straws, 3 Es * 1 Teeny, 6 Smalls, 4 Mediums, 1 large and 1 Jumbo in a 70 gallon
1 Boxer puppy, 1 Yorchie mutt, 1 cat, 1 ball python, 1 boa

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:21 pm

I give my crabs salted things as plain salt isn't harmful. Others choose not to feed salted things. Personal choice. :)
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:04 pm

pearl29mi wrote:I have a bag of raw frozen shrimp, the ingredients it has on it is just salt. Would it be okay for my crabs to eat? If so, do I feed it raw or cooked? Thanks :)
Like @wodesorel, I give my crabs items that have some salt but, if you're concerned, you can rinse the shrimp in hot water to remove some of the salt. As to raw vs cooked, some people's crabs prefer raw over cooked -- my guys aren't too fond of any shrimp other than freeze-dried.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:48 pm

For me, table salt isn't bad for them. Most of the time - well in australia - it's just Sodium and Chlorine; which the crabs would find somewhat beneficial. I just look at it as another salt source for my crabs to enjoy; after all they probably eat tonnes of "flavoured" items covered in salt.

Like Crabinski said, if your worried about it just wash it off with a bit of water! :)
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies