Hermit Crab Pantry

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

ciaraalston

Re: Hermit Crab Pantry

Post by ciaraalston » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:53 pm

I made 2 mixes the other day but I just put a spoonful of each item into the mix so I still had singles if needed. But when I added the mix in, they tore the food bowl up!!! I really like that idea, it's so much simpler! Thank you for this thread!!
I'll probably spend my night off making more mixes

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:45 pm

It is a bit of a pain mixing up the food. It helped once we ordered a few mixes from Hermies Kitchen and several single items too. That way we can rotate through the mixes and switch up singles for some variety. Plus the fresh veggies we eat too. We swap our food out every other day unless it gets some nasty funk going on before that. We were keeping a log of what tank got what trying to figure out what was getting devoured and what was being tossed aside. For as sloppy as they are we never figured it out.

I do like the mini shelves. I would probably roll die for each row of items in the organizer to add to their food. Or better yet. Have one in the tank and let the crabs play with it. Whatever number is up at feeding time, thats their predetermined mix for the day! Crabbie Craps! Not sure what happens once it gets buried.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:45 pm

Motörcrab wrote:It is a bit of a pain mixing up the food. It helped once we ordered a few mixes from Hermies Kitchen and several single items too. That way we can rotate through the mixes and switch up singles for some variety. Plus the fresh veggies we eat too. We swap our food out every other day unless it gets some nasty funk going on before that. We were keeping a log of what tank got what trying to figure out what was getting devoured and what was being tossed aside. For as sloppy as they are we never figured it out.

I do like the mini shelves. I would probably roll die for each row of items in the organizer to add to their food. Or better yet. Have one in the tank and let the crabs play with it. Whatever number is up at feeding time, thats their predetermined mix for the day! Crabbie Craps! Not sure what happens once it gets buried.
Crabbie Craps! :hlol:

It was pretty helpful when i was able to just scoop a spoonful of mix into a bowl, add a raspberry and piece of coconut, and get ready for work. Then on my nights off i'll have more time to prepare single items for them. I also swap the food out every other day, i feel like if i swap it every night that i'll be wasting a lot.
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

Topic author
ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:13 pm

Motörcrab wrote:It is a bit of a pain mixing up the food. It helped once we ordered a few mixes from Hermies Kitchen and several single items too. That way we can rotate through the mixes and switch up singles for some variety. Plus the fresh veggies we eat too. We swap our food out every other day unless it gets some nasty funk going on before that. We were keeping a log of what tank got what trying to figure out what was getting devoured and what was being tossed aside. For as sloppy as they are we never figured it out.

Haha! Funny.

Justy fyi, I just got a coffee bean grinder to grind my ingredients up in, it still took forever but having a dedicated grinder makes it go much faster.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:02 pm

Just don't try and grind up unpopped popcorn in it. I tried that and the kernels bouncing off the blades cracked the plastic!
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:13 pm

Here’s my pantry :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!