What is your crabs favorite food?

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
ShelbyF

What is your crabs favorite food?

Post by ShelbyF » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:14 pm

Please tell me what your crabs favorite foods are, just trying to figure out what to stock. Bonus points if it has a longer shelf life!. Thanks!

doth

Re: What is your crabs favorite food?

Post by doth » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:28 pm

dried insects & seafood always go over well with mine! mealworms/shrimp/etc

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

CrabberWill

Post by CrabberWill » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:59 pm

Popcorn is a perennial favorite among mine, though that's an occasional treat that I offer maybe twice a month or so, tops.

Hard-boiled egg was a massive hit the last time that I offered it, but that doesn't really qualify for a long shelf life. As far as that goes, the dried papaya that I recently bought has gone over well, and my crabs are usually more than willing to nibble on dried coconut. Sweet potato tends to be fairly popular as well.

I try to offer foods in varying combinations and frequencies, giving the crabs a balanced diet while also minimizing the chances that they'll get bored with any given item. I have a dish of dried bugs/shrimp and a dish of cuttlebone that stay in the 'tat 24/7, but everything else is on a semi-strict rotation where no particular food is offered more than two or three times per week.

460mgray

Post by 460mgray » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:09 am

Mine love organic honey with the bee pollen. They nibble on it for like 10 minutes at a time.

Topic author
ShelbyF

Post by ShelbyF » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:05 pm

These are all great ideas! I never would have thought of honey or popcorn!

CrabberWill

Post by CrabberWill » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:33 pm

If you decide to offer popcorn, just be sure that it's absolutely plain--no butter, salt, etc. Organic, as always, is preferable, but it's most important that you don't offer something like microwave popcorn or leftovers that you bring home from the movie theater. I have an air popper that I use when I make mine at home, so what I do is take a handful of popped, pre-seasoned kernels and put them in a small bowl with a lid. I offer a piece from this bowl every couple of weeks or so until I run out, then I refill it the next time that I make some for myself. The crabs don't even care if it goes stale, so while this is more of a treat than it is a staple food, it does count as having a reasonably long shelf life--I've been using my current batch for months now.

Some crabbers even grind up the unpopped kernels and offer them that way, and while I've yet to try that method, it's another option for you.

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:45 am

Fish (they really like smoked rainbow trout in olive oil, which I fed on my four year “crabbiversary”), burning bush leaves, millet, banana, popcorn, eggshells, scrambled eggs (especially when they’re still warm), flowers.... the list goes on.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:11 am

Mine love- in all 5 tats- this stuff called Fiesta Fruit Salad. I can’t recall which seller I purchased from on Etsy, but there are a ton of items to check out on there. But that one is by far the #1- I need to reorder actually so I’ll let you know from whom when I find it!
Others are dried burning bush leaves, Worm Castings (always,) bee pollen and honey, and apples, salmon (raw, personal preference) and snake skin.

Dave the Wondercrab~Pat~MaggieMoo~Billy~
Pop~Corn~Ten~Sam~Tim~Gene My PP clan

Topic author
ShelbyF

Post by ShelbyF » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:10 pm

Id heard about snake skin, thankfully my sister has two snakes. That way I know they went slithering into anything dangerous😅

Maddamay32

Post by Maddamay32 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:45 pm

Mine love the chicken bones that are pulled out of, and cooked, from unseasoned chicken. (I do dehydrate the bones and smash them into powder using a meat mallot lol) also "all living things" vegetable mix, egg shells, dehydrated coconut shavings, chia seeds, brine shrip eggs, dried oat meal, and unsalted sunflower seeds.

Sent from my LG-SP320 using Tapatalk

8 crabs at the moment "Tarzan, Kermit, Shy guy, Eduardo, Jimbo, Rosa, Diesel, Treaker"

Maddamay32

Post by Maddamay32 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:46 pm

Also mango and honey!!

Sent from my LG-SP320 using Tapatalk

8 crabs at the moment "Tarzan, Kermit, Shy guy, Eduardo, Jimbo, Rosa, Diesel, Treaker"

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:21 pm

Mine love almonds and honey coral calcium!
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺