How to Dry Live Mealworms?

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
DinkDonk

How to Dry Live Mealworms?

Post by DinkDonk » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:57 pm

Today I went to the pet store and I bought mealworms for my hermit crabs! However, on the way home, I did not realize they were live, and so I need to find a way to dry these or at least serve them to my crabs for the long term. The internet usually talks about drying the worms in ways for humans, but not for hermit crabs! How can I dry or preserve these worm so that my crabs can eat them? Thanks all!

PS, this other lady over there gave me this giant Australian prickly stick bug, so I guess I am the owner of a stick bug now

Sent from my Carrier Pigeon using Tapatalk

CrabbyLover77

Re: How to Dry Live Mealworms?

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:41 pm

Congrats on the new stick bug hehe! I've never seen the kind you said the lady gave you. Maybe you can post a pic. Image

At the wild bird rescue where I volunteer, we breed our own live mealworms to give to the birds. However, for the very young or sick nestlings, we feed them drowned mealworms. I know it sounds bad, but we take a few mealworms and put them in a container of water, let them sit for a while, and then feed them to the tiny babies (they are dead at this point-older stronger babies/adults get live worms). I guess you could refrigerate them afterward so they don't go bad.
The other option is putting them out for the birds. If you put them in a dish or container with high sides so they can't escape, the wild birds will love them. Then check on Amazon for freeze dried mealworms. The stores are all too expensive. I got a 2lb bag for $15.99, which is super cheap. I make my own birdseed mix and use mealworms in it, that's why I buy such a big bag. Image

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07MFX ... asin_title

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:45 pm

Any oven-drying technique or whatever you’re reading will work. Just don’t coat them in unsafe seasonings.

Alternatively you may also put them in a jar and store them in the freezer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:29 pm

I'd freeze them and feed them as needed. 'Fresh' worms are beloved and make a great treat, so they would probably enjoy them more than dried. They will also eat them alive if you can use a large bowl the worms can't climb out of, the crabs will sit inside and much away.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
DinkDonk

Post by DinkDonk » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:10 pm

I think I'll freeze them! It's more effigy and saves energy! I learned about gut loading, so then I'm trying to feed them lots of fresh greens and vegetables, good way to sneak in some extra vitamins and minerals for the crabbos! I'm also doing the same with the crickets that I got today.

And yeah, I'll definitely show you the stick insect! It's a giant Australian prickly stick insect, and she's kinda small! I'm planning to call her either Athena (I loved the name so much I just had to take it CrabbyLover77!), after the God of War and the persona of Aigis from Persona 3 or Holly, shortened name of Hollow from Skullgirls. She currently lives in a cup, but I'm trying to get her a large old fish tank iso to live in.

Thanks for your help everyone! Oh, and I've read your message Crabby, I'm still writing the response since it's Finals week xd

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:14 pm

DinkDonk wrote:I think I'll freeze them! It's more effigy and saves energy! I learned about gut loading, so then I'm trying to feed them lots of fresh greens and vegetables, good way to sneak in some extra vitamins and minerals for the crabbos! I'm also doing the same with the crickets that I got today.

And yeah, I'll definitely show you the stick insect! It's a giant Australian prickly stick insect, and she's kinda small! I'm planning to call her either Athena (I loved the name so much I just had to take it CrabbyLover77!), after the God of War and the persona of Aigis from Persona 3 or Holly, shortened name of Hollow from Skullgirls. She currently lives in a cup, but I'm trying to get her a large old fish tank iso to live in.

Thanks for your help everyone! Oh, and I've read your message Crabby, I'm still writing the response since it's Finals week xd

Athena is a great name haha! Image I love all the mythology names. My dog's name is Zeus, my goldfish Poseidon, my tortoise Athena, and I used to have a betta named Thor and a platy named Jupiter lol. Don't worry about writing back, studying comes first!!

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-

MauiMama

Post by MauiMama » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:17 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:Athena is a great name haha! Image I love all the mythology names. My dog's name is Zeus, my goldfish Poseidon, my tortoise Athena, and I used to have a betta named Thor and a platy named Jupiter lol. Don't worry about writing back, studying comes first!!

I love the idea of a goldfish named Poseidon xD I also like to give my companions "big" names, especially if they are small. My Bettas were named Arnold Schwarzenegger and Star-Lord.

This was a great question, OP. I'd like to give my crab special treats like that (if he ever comes up from molting)!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

•°☆~♡~☆°• MauiMama•°☆~♡~☆°•

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:43 pm

MauiMama wrote:I love the idea of a goldfish named Poseidon xD I also like to give my companions "big" names, especially if they are small. My Bettas were named Arnold Schwarzenegger and Star-Lord.

This was a great question, OP. I'd like to give my crab special treats like that (if he ever comes up from molting)!

Thanks! My dog Zeus is a Pomeranian, about 14 lbs, but he definitely acts like a God lol. And I love the name Arnold S. for a betta! If I ever get another betta I might have to steal that name! Image

Topic author
DinkDonk

Post by DinkDonk » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:26 pm

MauiMama wrote:I love the idea of a goldfish named Poseidon xD I also like to give my companions "big" names, especially if they are small. My Bettas were named Arnold Schwarzenegger and Star-Lord.

Oh, those are some nice names! Everyone has their own cool and unique names, including me! I have named my crabs Hermes, schelbert and Orpheus oh, and I have a stick insect named Athena, and I have two guppy babies named fish and chips! I used to have a crowntail dark blue male betta, who I named Eddie. Unfortunately he died after 3 days I got him, and my parents won't let me buy another expensive fish like him ever again, but that is how life works.

And thank you, I'm glad it was a great question and it helped you Maui! Since I can't feed these treats to my crabs, maybe I'll give them to my neighbor in stead as a present.

I have grown attached to my crickets and mealworms, and I find a cricket singing lovely. Yesterday when I I froze my crickets and mealworms, I felt bad after 5 minutes and I took them out. Unfortunately all of the Crickets either died or turned weak and the mealworms were fine. I was thinking about breeding them both, but I suppose I'll stick with mealworms for now as a renewable food source. Does anyone have any tips for raising mealworms?

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

MauiMama

Post by MauiMama » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:48 pm

DinkDonk wrote:Oh, those are some nice names! Everyone has their own cool and unique names, including me! I have named my crabs Hermes, schelbert and Orpheus oh, and I have a stick insect named Athena, and I have two guppy babies named fish and chips!
Fish and chips, I absolutely love it xD

•°☆~♡~☆°• MauiMama•°☆~♡~☆°•