Is lichen safe?

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
Moe2076

Is lichen safe?

Post by Moe2076 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:43 am

I can't find lichen on safe or unsafe list. My wife says theres a big piece outside and she asked about it. If it is safe what do I need to do, if anything to prepare it?

I see a list of commercial mosses in substrate and moss but I didn't see a safe list of mosses that we could harvest for them, if theres a list where is it? If theres not a list can we compile one?
18 PP: 2 teenie 3 small Gumbo; 1 small/med shell diva; 6 med: Evil Kenival 6 med/large
3 dogs: Maltipoo Tosh Pomeranian/Spitz Kaylee: Rotwieler/hound Bear
4 cats: Dottie calico Luna: DSH grey and white Moxie:kitten with spunk Ellis:Big lovey orange tabby

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Is lichen safe?

Post by wodesorel » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:20 pm

Unless you are an expert in identifying lichens, I wouldn't recommend it. Some are poisonous, and no one here will be able to help you figure out what is edible and what is toxic.

Mosses found outside should be safe, but they will absorb any chemicals or toxins they have been exposed to - including from air pollution - especially since they grow so slowly. Members here do harvest mosses they find that grow in safe areas. It won't stay alive in the tanks for long though, and personally I find the prepackaged versions to be much nicer. Also, check your state laws, and if you are harvesting on public lands always check their regulations - mosses are disappearing from the wild due to poachers and over harvesting and are protected now in many areas.

Identifying mosses is difficult, it takes a microscope and a lot of training. My father spent 3 years finding and identifying all of the sphagnum mosses that grew in one little park in Indiana, and it took him forever! In the end it doesn't matter much as moss is moss and is safe for hermits.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Moe2076

Re: Is lichen safe?

Post by Moe2076 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:40 pm

WoW! Thank you! Given all that research and facts I understand why there is not a list for it. I have plenty of the store bought, I'm really happy with it, it was just a question my wife asked me this morning I thought might have an easy answer... LOL silly me!
18 PP: 2 teenie 3 small Gumbo; 1 small/med shell diva; 6 med: Evil Kenival 6 med/large
3 dogs: Maltipoo Tosh Pomeranian/Spitz Kaylee: Rotwieler/hound Bear
4 cats: Dottie calico Luna: DSH grey and white Moxie:kitten with spunk Ellis:Big lovey orange tabby