How Do I Serve/Prepare?

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
CrabbyChelle628

How Do I Serve/Prepare?

Post by CrabbyChelle628 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:37 pm

I recently bought a few different kinds of foods from www.hermitcrabpatch.com.There are no directions on the packages and I don't know how to serve them. Do I need to add water to make a paste or do I need to just serve them as the powder that they are? Does anyone have any tips or directions that I could use?

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

curlysister

Re: How Do I Serve/Prepare?

Post by curlysister » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:47 pm

You serve them dry just like they are, don't add water. I like to give maybe a 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon of 3-5 different foods at a time. Because they are dried, you can leave them in the tank for at least 3-5 days. I have left them up to a week or so when I was away on vacation, but usually they are moldy by day 4ish due to the heat and humidity.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:04 am

What curly said. :) The last time I ordered from hcp, they included a nice, tiny plastic spoon which is very convenient to just take a tiny bit from the package at a time. (If they aren't still doing that, you can just get a little 1/8 tsp measurer or maybe a "baby spoon" and use that--it's nice because dipping it out with a spoon keeps the "zip" closure free of food crumbs.) I like to serve just a little bit in a flat-ish shell; I usually have two or three different food shells in the tank, spread around in different places every time to encourage movement and exploration; I rotate out the oldest one and put in a new one every day or two.

The dried foods are great because they do last longer before molding, but remember that fresh foods every so often is good for the crabs, too. Give them a shrimp tail now and then, they'll have a party!
--{}: Dragons Fly Farm --{}:
Resident PP's:"Major Tom" "Billie Jean" & "Mr. Jones"
Keep a good thought--they're rare these days.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:23 am

Pretty much what everyone else said. For food containers you can use just about anything. Some crabbers sell really cool ceramic dishes they make. Shells like DragonsFly mentioned are great too. I even use plastic lids from peanut butter any mayo containers. Another option are paint palettes from the dollar tree. They have 6 small compartments so you can see what foods are favorites. You can get 6 of them for a buck!
https://www.dollartree.com/jot-plastic- ... tes/252463
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:40 am

The advantages of using shells (like clam shells, that kind of shape) include the fact that the crabs will actually nibble on the shells themselves from time to time, because they are a good source of calcium and other minerals. So they are a kind of "edible plate," if you will. I also just like to try for the most natural kind of surroundings that I can, using things most like what the crabs would have encountered in their natural home, had they been allowed to live their natural lives.
--{}: Dragons Fly Farm --{}:
Resident PP's:"Major Tom" "Billie Jean" & "Mr. Jones"
Keep a good thought--they're rare these days.

Topic author
CrabbyChelle628

Post by CrabbyChelle628 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:38 pm

Ok I served "Winter Claws" mix last night and the one that's up absolutely loved it. I started with just a little bit and had to add som more. I found some tiny ceramic tea bag dishes at a thrift store that I am using as food dishes I had one with the mix and another with worm castings/ oyster shell/ mineral supplement mix. He didn't move out of the winter claws mix for a good 2 hours. When I picked him up to add more he scrambled right back to it.

curlysister

Post by curlysister » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:50 pm

Woo hoo! Mine love the HCP 'mineral supplement'. They will eat it until their poop is the same beige color and it is! LOL!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
CrabbyChelle628

Post by CrabbyChelle628 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:58 pm

Usually Riptide's poop is long and stringy this is the first time since I got him for Christmas that it has looked like poop

Topic author
CrabbyChelle628

Post by CrabbyChelle628 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:01 pm

Ok. Potato and sweet potatoes, raw or cooked, whole or chunked, big or small, mashed or fries?

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:42 am

I offer steamed potato chunks with the eyes removed. Those are hit and miss with my crabs. For sweet potatoes I bought frozen organic chunks that I dehydrated and ground into powder and offer that way. They seem to like them more. As for fries, if they are store bought or deep fried I would avoid them. Fresh cut, baked with nothing added would be ok with eyes removed.

I'm not sure why eyes should not be offered with potatoes.
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=92557
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

curlysister

Post by curlysister » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:29 am

I have offered steamed or baked potatoe in the past, but don't think my crabs have ever touched it.

Topic author
CrabbyChelle628

Post by CrabbyChelle628 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:30 pm

Ok thank you