What's on today's menu & recipe sharing

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

dvrkfvwn

Re: What's on today's menu & recipe sharing

Post by dvrkfvwn » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:00 pm

My crabbies are about to have a feast tonight! :D spinach, kale, lettuce, some strawberries and raspberries and also blueberries, I also sprinkled some basil and parsley on top, along with their calcium powder.

crabby33

Post by crabby33 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:46 pm

The menu tonight:

Spinach, Turnip Greens, Jicama, Banana, Dragon Fruit, and Freeze Dried Mealworms. I will add animal proteins and calcium when I get home.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:41 am

All 5 gathered by the food dish. Although one is starting a little trouble. What's the draw? Raw chicken wing.

https://youtu.be/i3Huoy6puiQ
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Sillymel

Post by Sillymel » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:05 pm

I didn’t know that they could have raw meat. Is that better for them than cooked?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DevilNDisguise

Post by DevilNDisguise » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:42 pm

Sillymel wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:05 pm
I didn’t know that they could have raw meat. Is that better for them than cooked?

I don't know which is better, if either of them are, but raw is definitely safe.

If you think about it, no one gives them cooked meat in the wild. Eating raw and rotten things is quite natural for them. :)
1 Bearded Dragon, 1 Guinea Pig, 1 Mouse, 1 Lovebird, 1 Dog, 2 Cats, 2 Rabbits, 2 Frogs, 2 Cockatiels, 2 Budgies & Their 3 Babies, 3 Rats, 4 Hamsters, and Many Hermit Crabs!

AL247

Post by AL247 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:09 am

Can they have tuna from a can?

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:56 am

AL247 wrote:Can they have tuna from a can?

I would say as long as the tuna is packaged in water and not oil it should be ok.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Nitegoddess

Post by Nitegoddess » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:35 pm

On the approved foods list it says that chicken should be cooked, but I see many of you feed raw chicken, is that correct? Like I can toss a whole raw chicken wing in there or some raw chicken breast?

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:22 pm

Nitegoddess wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:35 pm
On the approved foods list it says that chicken should be cooked, but I see many of you feed raw chicken, is that correct? Like I can toss a whole raw chicken wing in there or some raw chicken breast?
Raw is fine. No one cooks for them in the wild.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

gunstreet.girl

Post by gunstreet.girl » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:32 am

On today’s menu (pictured): raw shrimp (with exo), raw brussels sprout, cod skins, bloodworms, homemade staple mix, homemade fruit and flower treat mix, pita bread with raw coarse-filtered honey with honeycomb.

Not pictured: dehydrated summer sub mix from the garden (basil leaves and flowers, marigold flowers, calendula flowers, borage flowers and leaves, hemerocallis flowers, butternut squash leaves and flowers, raspberry leaves, dandelion leaves, red clover)

Homemade staple mix ingredients: forbidden black rice, amaranth, bee pollen, krill, mysis shrimp, crickets, mealworms, grasshoppers, coconut, nutritional yeast, powdered cuttlebone.

Homemade fruit and flower treat mix ingredients: apple, strawberry, blackberry, acaï, coconut, quinoa, bee pollen, hibiscus, clover, raspberry leaf.

PeekaBoo2013

Post by PeekaBoo2013 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:19 am

krbrown2000 wrote:Looking at these menus ... are your crabs big eaters? Or do you just put tiny amounts in the tank? I have two crabs and they hardly eat anything. Their favorite things are boiled egg, sliced almonds and cuttlebone. They LOVE the cuttlebone. I've tried them on strawberries and grapes -- they won't eat them. They've currently got cantaloupe in there, and they've not touched it, but I'm hopeful. I've also tried leaves from the approved list, to no success, and the same with lettuce. I bought some of the crab food on Etsy (that has dried greens and ground corn, and is all nice and fishy smelling), and they hardly touch that. I put honey in there once and it disappeared, so I guess they ate it.

Just not sure what else to try for my finicky guys. They're worse than my cats!
I have only had my two crabs for about a week. And I'm having a hard time seeing if they're eating anything. I did notice they eat some pumpkin puree when I put it in the (not pumpkin pie mix) so I'm thinking I need to try some organic baby food for them to try!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

2 Tabby Cats: Peeka and Boo(10/2013)
3 Purple Pinchers: Bagel (11/2019), Schmear (11/2019), and Lox (12/2019)

Brand new owner of hermit crabs, I have never been around them and I'm learning a lot!

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:09 am

Cicada shells!

4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Merle, Seasalt, & Elvis
2 Captive Bred PPs = Randy & Roxie
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:22 pm

This was on the menu last night. From left is leaf litter, top right poops and corn, bottom left calciums, bottom right proteins, and assorted color boosting and mixes. In the 10 o'clock position is a pinky.Image

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:23 pm

Motörcrab wrote:This was on the menu last night. From left is leaf litter, top right poops and corn, bottom left calciums, bottom right proteins, and assorted color boosting and mixes. In the 10 o'clock position is a pinky.Image

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Looks yummy! What lucky crabs! Image

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 2 Pomeranians, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 13 hermit crabs.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

jwhite82

Post by jwhite82 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:27 am

I hope this is a good meal for them.

One dish has a mixture of canned tuna, plain popcorn, and diced apple.

The other dish is dry oats drizzled with raw unfiltered honey.