Getting a new tank which UTH to order??

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Freckles24

Getting a new tank which UTH to order??

Post by Freckles24 » Wed May 24, 2017 9:15 am

So I'm getting a 29 gallon (this week) and I was looking at the ultratherms. The tank will be about 18" high and I was thinking I'd have at least 9" of sub maybe more (idk yet). Basically the options are 6"x23", 11"x23", 6"x35", 11"x35"

The tank will be 30" wide so if I went with the 35" I guess it'd go around to the side? That'd be fine visually but I didn't know if you could bend them (never had an ultratherm before)

I think the 6x23 will just be small all around

And if I get the 11" one then the sub would cover it a little bit?

I honestly don't know which to pick so hoping for some advice! Too bad they don't make a 8x30 haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Freckles24 on Wed May 24, 2017 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daws409

Re: Getting a new tank which UTH to order??

Post by daws409 » Wed May 24, 2017 9:30 am

I have a 6x23 on my 29G and it heats it perfectly. You can always insulate it if you need more heat

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

Hermias_mom

Post by Hermias_mom » Wed May 24, 2017 9:53 am

Freckles24 wrote:So I'm getting a 29 gallon (this week) and I was looking at the ultratherms. The tank will be about 18" high and I was thinking I'd have at least 9" of sub maybe more (idk yet). Basically the options are 6"x23", 11"x23", 6"x35", 11"x35"

The tank will be 30" wide so if I went with the 35" I guess it'd go around to the side? That'd be fine visually but I didn't know if you could bend them (never had an ultratherm before)

I think the 6x23 will just be small all around

And if I get the 11" one then the sub would cover it a little bit?

I honestly don't know which to pick so hoping for some advise! Too bad they don't make a 8x30 haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I got a 6x23 for my ten gallon, which is only 20" long. You can't bend the Ultratherms, or any UTH. It will have to stick out past the side. But mine does by about 3 inches, and I've never had a problem with it. It's out of the way on the back.

Also, I ended up slanting my sub down slightly at the side where the Ultratherm is attached so the sub wouldn't cover the ultratherm. My overlap concern was only an inch or less, so having the sub be slightly lower in the back didn't seem like that big of a deal to me. An inch away from the back wall, the sub was up to 6" deep again. It works temporarily, but remember, the crabs will be tunneling and moving around the sand, so if your UTH does overlap the sub a bit, and you angle it away like I did, you could very well end up with crab tunnels that push sand up to where it's covering the UTH again, and then I would be afraid to move the sand away from the UTH, because I've got crabs down molting. So there is that.

And I love how you can insulate the Ultratherms!!! If it's not hot enough, just add more insulation!

One last thought - I use a Zilla thermostat to keep my tat at 81-83F. That way I know it stays the right temp all the time. Gives me peace of mind.
4PPs and tons of FUN in a 29 gallon!
Hermia(F), Helena(F), Branch(M), and Tiger (M)
RIP Athena

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed May 31, 2017 5:17 pm

Have you tried both www.reptilebasics.com or www.beanfarm.com ? A lot depends on where you live, and what the normal temperature is of your house.

To insulate, you can use Reflectix insulation (NOT the tape), aluminum foil (shiny side facing the crabitat) then styrofoam and or foam board.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com