ZooMed Mushroom Shelf Safe?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
SurfinCrab13

Post by SurfinCrab13 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:11 am

Hello, I'm building a new tank. I recently purchased the ZooMed small mushroom shelf. It appears to be made of some type of foam. This is the light weight one that attaches with adhesive. Is it safe for my Crab?
It takes 24 hours for the adhesive to cure.
Any help is wonderful and very appreciated.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:22 pm

I know people have used it...BUT- you cannot install that while your crabs are in the tank. The glue would be harmful to their modified gills.

A lot of people prefer magnaturals. Same concept except the mushrooms are held up with strong magnets that can be moved around, so they aren't permanent like the zoomed ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: ZooMed Mushroom Shelf Safe?

Post by wodesorel » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:44 pm

Foam can and will eventually be picked at! Doesn't seem to hurt the crabs, but they can easily trash anything they are able to pinch. They seem to like the texture of anything with some give to it. (Probably feels like food to them.)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

erin.leaman

Re: ZooMed Mushroom Shelf Safe?

Post by erin.leaman » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:32 pm

I once considered letting my crabs play with a stress ball, but when I saw how much damage they did to a pencil eraser (I was curious so I put it up to their pincher) I decided that if I wanted them to have a toy, it should be hard enough so that they won't turn it into confetti.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk
Bands, Dreamcatchers, and Hermit crabs