Upgrade

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
steaile

Upgrade

Post by steaile » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:29 pm

Hello all!
I'm upgrading my crabs to a 20 long and was wondering if someone could give me an idea of how much substrate I'll need
I usually use the bricks of ecoearth but if buying it premise is is the way to go I will

daws409

Re: Upgrade

Post by daws409 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:09 pm

Bricks are always cheaper than loose. It's more time consuming tho!

I have a 29G. It's the same floorprint of a 20L just 6" taller. I used a 50 lb bag of sand and 4 bricks. This gave me a total of 7.75" after a couple months of settling (I started with 9"). Keep in mind my setup is not 5:1 ratio (sand:ee).... A 5:1 ratio would be 100 lbs (2 - 50 lb bags) sand to 1 brick.

Edit- you could prob use a bag of sand and one brick for a good 6".

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:01 am

50 pounds of sand is just shy of 5 gallons

1 block of EE is about 1 gallon

In a 20 long to get 6 inches of substrate you would need at least 10 gallons worth, but more is good! It'll settle over time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:25 am

wodesorel wrote:50 pounds of sand is just shy of 5 gallons

In a 20 long to get 6 inches of substrate you would need at least 10 gallons worth, but more is good! It'll settle over time.

Would it be possible to add this "math" to the substrate guide? This is gold! To work out "gallonage" of sub, all you need is the footprint x "height of substrate wanted".... And from there, you just plug the numbers away!
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

emberfusion

Post by emberfusion » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:34 am

aussieJJDude wrote:
wodesorel wrote:50 pounds of sand is just shy of 5 gallons

Would it be possible to add this "math" to the substrate guide? This is gold! To work out "gallonage" of sub, all you need is the footprint x "height of substrate wanted".... And from there, you just plug the numbers away!
I second this! This is actually really helpful when determining how much sand/EE to buy.
I just figured out that for my new tank I'm going to need ~63 gallons of sub which means I only bought about half of what I need & I'm glad to have figured this out now so I can go buy more sand while it's on sale.