10 gallon setup

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

annedow9

Re: 10 gallon setup

Post by annedow9 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:40 pm

macx wrote:UPDATE:
Added water pools, a climbing rock and some other climbing things. I have a lot more things for them to climb in their current tank that will be moved to this one.
ImageImageImage
Is there anything you guys think I should change? Are the rocks okay for the water pools? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I love the climbing rock! Where did you find it?

annedow9

Post by annedow9 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:42 pm

Hermias_mom wrote:
Added water pools, a climbing rock and some other climbing things. I have a lot more things for them to climb in their current tank that will be moved to this one.
ImageImageImage
Is there anything you guys think I should change? Are the rocks okay for the water pools? Thanks.

Is that a 10 gallon? Looks good to me!

I wouldn't use those rocks in the water the crabs drink, but that's me. Other folks may do things differently or not have an issue. The rocks I found/bought that were like that had a coating on them to make them safe to use in fishtanks, but if you boiled them the coating would come off. Most rocks are porous without a coating, and I wasn't sure what would be leaching into my water if I put them in it. Saltwater in particular could react with minerals in rocks and create compounds in the water that might not be so good for the crabs. Also, I'm not sure the coating that came on the rocks could be used with or was impermeable to saltwater. So I decided to only use scallop shells and glass marbles in my water bowls - I could boil those and rub them clean easily, and I figured scallop shells would be pretty inert to saltwater, since that's their natural environment.

I used rocks like the ones in the bowls in your picture to weigh down the bottom dish of my nested water bowls. Here's a link to nested water bowls in case you're interested. http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... bubbler+yo

Have fun!
Could you use sea glass?

Topic author
macx

Post by macx » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:41 pm

annedow9 wrote:
Hermias_mom wrote:
ImageImageImage

Is that a 10 gallon? Looks good to me!

I wouldn't use those rocks in the water the crabs drink, but that's me. Other folks may do things differently or not have an issue. The rocks I found/bought that were like that had a coating on them to make them safe to use in fishtanks, but if you boiled them the coating would come off. Most rocks are porous without a coating, and I wasn't sure what would be leaching into my water if I put them in it. Saltwater in particular could react with minerals in rocks and create compounds in the water that might not be so good for the crabs. Also, I'm not sure the coating that came on the rocks could be used with or was impermeable to saltwater. So I decided to only use scallop shells and glass marbles in my water bowls - I could boil those and rub them clean easily, and I figured scallop shells would be pretty inert to saltwater, since that's their natural environment.

I used rocks like the ones in the bowls in your picture to weigh down the bottom dish of my nested water bowls. Here's a link to nested water bowls in case you're interested. http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... bubbler+yo

Have fun!
Could you use sea glass?

Yes, I have a bin of sea glass! Thanks for the idea! Also I got the climbing rock for 9.99(Canadian) would be 7.55(US) at pet culture, it wasn't even in the discount section and has a waterfall system!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:55 pm

macx wrote:
GotButterflies wrote:Looking good! I would get some craft mesh so your crabs can get in and out of the pools safely :) The cholla that you have is not a real piece of cholla, it is plastic. Do you have a Hobby Lobby around you? They carry real cholla for cheap, and you can use 40% of coupons on it! Ebay is another place that you can pick up cholla.

I like to use fish net along the back of my tank to get more climbing space for my crabs :)
Thanks for the ideas! I have been looking into getting some craft mesh for the crabs to get in and out of the pools, will probably get some tonight after baseball. As for the cholla wood, I do not have a hobby lobby near me, are there any other places to get it for cheap? They have it at petsmart and petculture but it is around 25$ a small piece.

I've bought some nice pieces off of eBay Image

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
macx

Post by macx » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:00 pm

Okay! Hobby lobby seems to have great deals on cholla but the closest one to me is over an hour and a half away, lol.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:57 pm

I think they ship

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com