Where can I get a glass top?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
finleyfoo

Where can I get a glass top?

Post by finleyfoo » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:51 pm

I have a 20 gallon glass terrarium/aquarium. It came with a mess top which works great for getting in there and changing food often but I am having trouble maintaining humidity. I have a plexi on top but it does not fit snug. Where can I get a glass top for it that fits snug?

fandt94

Re: Where can I get a glass top?

Post by fandt94 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:59 pm

finleyfoo wrote:I have a 20 gallon glass terrarium/aquarium. It came with a mess top which works great for getting in there and changing food often but I am having trouble maintaining humidity. I have a plexi on top but it does not fit snug. Where can I get a glass top for it that fits snug?
Someone told me Petco and PetSmart carry them. I haven’t looked yet but plan to eventually. I have a mesh lid wrapped in Saran Wrap to maintain humidity right now.
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:59 pm

Make sure you know the measurements of your tank before you purchase a glass top. :) I have always ordered all of my glass tops online. That is where I have found the best prices!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:30 pm

finleyfoo wrote:I have a 20 gallon glass terrarium/aquarium. It came with a mess top which works great for getting in there and changing food often but I am having trouble maintaining humidity. I have a plexi on top but it does not fit snug. Where can I get a glass top for it that fits snug?
I have my plexi taped to the mesh lid. Works like a charm.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:42 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Make sure you know the measurements of your tank before you purchase a glass top. :) I have always ordered all of my glass tops online. That is where I have found the best prices!
Where have you ordered from? I’m so lazy...I will order online before going to a store lol
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:55 pm

A few places! It was awhile ago, so I don't 100% remember the names. A few times I have ordered from Amazon, I think once from Pet Mountain. I look for free shipping deals - then the best prices for the tops. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:50 pm

GotButterflies wrote:A few places! It was awhile ago, so I don't 100% remember the names. A few times I have ordered from Amazon, I think once from Pet Mountain. I look for free shipping deals - then the best prices for the tops. :)
Ty! Will look into it when I’m ready..gearing up to add more substrate atm so have to hold off on other expenses

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:45 am

I had some old pieces of glass from some picture frames that I used a glass cutter to cut to size. Took me a few tries to get it right, but I did. I left about 2” short in order for some air to get in.

Question about Saran wrapping: wouldn’t you need some holes poked through in order for air to get in?

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:00 am

ApePlanet wrote:I had some old pieces of glass from some picture frames that I used a glass cutter to cut to size. Took me a few tries to get it right, but I did. I left about 2” short in order for some air to get in.

Question about Saran wrapping: wouldn’t you need some holes poked through in order for air to get in?
No. When you open the lid to change food and the waters that is sufficient air exchange Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wlfwo

Post by Wlfwo » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:31 am

I measured the mesh part and got mine at the local glass shop. Taped it on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
I can hear my 75g whispering from the barn.

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:49 am

GotButterflies wrote:
ApePlanet wrote:I had some old pieces of glass from some picture frames that I used a glass cutter to cut to size. Took me a few tries to get it right, but I did. I left about 2” short in order for some air to get in.

No. When you open the lid to change food and the waters that is sufficient air exchange Image

Good to know, thanks!

Topic author
finleyfoo

Post by finleyfoo » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:51 am

OP here - these are some great ideas, thanks!

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:06 pm

Search online for “how to make a glass aquarium lid” they have some really cool ideas on how to make one for pretty cheap. I kind of wish I would have searched this before I bought mine today. I’m glad I have one but you can make a nice sliding top for pretty cheap. You can go to Home Depot or Lowe’s and ask for glass remnants and have them cut to the size of your tank then use “pvc tile board outside corner” as the tracking for the glass to slide on. I’ll try to put some links in if I can do it correctly.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wkdqK0_c6y4

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BNFMyJw4aFI

elly_bananas

Post by elly_bananas » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:17 pm

I ordered for my 20gal long tank through petco.com store pick up, but they didnt carry the 36gal BF lid so i had to order through somewhere else and found petswarehouse.com, it came in about a week. Fit well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
She thought she could, so she did!

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:46 pm

elly_bananas wrote:I ordered for my 20gal long tank through petco.com store pick up, but they didnt carry the 36gal BF lid so i had to order through somewhere else and found petswarehouse.com, it came in about a week. Fit well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Yea petco didn’t have a lid for mine either so I ended up ordering from Amazon...and although it fits nicely, sometimes a corner pops up a tad because of the little part in the middle you can open and close. If it’s not latched properly it makes a corner pop up. Hard to explain lol