Crabitat: new crabber needing feedback!

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Crabitat: new crabber needing feedback!

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed May 24, 2017 5:05 pm

We normally reccomend covering the entire back of the tank above the substrate level.

Sent using Tapatalk from phone (w/ typos)
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Hermias_mom

Post by Hermias_mom » Wed May 24, 2017 5:06 pm

Fledgling wrote:I'll have to look through there. Quick question for everyone on the UTH: What size should I order for a 10 gal tank?

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
I have a 10 gallon. I have a 6x23 Ultratherm brand UTH. It's great and you can insulate it, but it sticks past the back of my 10 gallon by 3 inches. You can't bend them or they break. The extra 3 inches doesn't bother me, but it might bother you depending on the aesthetic effect you're going for. Also, it's pretty close to overlapping my sub. I'd order the next size smaller Ultratherm if I had to do it again - I originally purchased the 6"x23" for a 20 gallon long tank. Like aussieJJDude said, most folks on here will recommend getting the largest UTH you can that will fit on the back of the tank above the level of your substrate.

BTW, in order to save yourself a world of hassle, I'd recommend purchasing an Ultratherm brand UTH. You can get them from reptilebasics.com or beanfarm.com. Most other brands just don't work, and you can insulate the Ultratherms if you need to. With the other brands, putting anything over it or trying to insulate it is a big fire risk. And the Ultratherms are re-usable/repositionable, where the other brands are designed to break if you try to move them in order to force you to buy another UTH. So I think Ultratherms are SO worth the money.

I also use a thermostat (Zilla brand, but there are others that work fine) for peace of mind. I know my tank is always 81-83F regardless of my house conditions.

Good luck!
4PPs and tons of FUN in a 29 gallon!
Hermia(F), Helena(F), Branch(M), and Tiger (M)
RIP Athena

Topic author
Fledgling

Post by Fledgling » Wed May 24, 2017 5:13 pm

Hermias_mom wrote:
Fledgling wrote:I'll have to look through there. Quick question for everyone on the UTH: What size should I order for a 10 gal tank?

I have a 10 gallon. I have a 6x23 Ultratherm brand UTH. It's great and you can insulate it, but it sticks past the back of my 10 gallon by 3 inches. You can't bend them or they break. The extra 3 inches doesn't bother me, but it might bother you depending on the aesthetic effect you're going for. Also, it's pretty close to overlapping my sub. I'd order the next size smaller Ultratherm if I had to do it again - I originally purchased the 6"x23" for a 20 gallon long tank. Like aussieJJDude said, most folks on here will recommend getting the largest UTH you can that will fit on the back of the tank above the level of your substrate.

BTW, in order to save yourself a world of hassle, I'd recommend purchasing an Ultratherm brand UTH. You can get them from reptilebasics.com or beanfarm.com. Most other brands just don't work, and you can insulate the Ultratherms if you need to. With the other brands, putting anything over it or trying to insulate it is a big fire risk. And the Ultratherms are re-usable/repositionable, where the other brands are designed to break if you try to move them in order to force you to buy another UTH. So I think Ultratherms are SO worth the money.

I also use a thermostat (Zilla brand, but there are others that work fine) for peace of mind. I know my tank is always 81-83F regardless of my house conditions.

Good luck!
I have a static cling background on my tank right now. Will it be ok, or should I remove it?

4 PPs at this party: Toby(f), Robin(f), Speedy(m), Wally(TBD)

Hermias_mom

Post by Hermias_mom » Wed May 24, 2017 5:47 pm

Fledgling wrote: I have a static cling background on my tank right now. Will it be ok, or should I remove it?

You should probably remove it. The Ultratherm should be taped flat directly to the glass on the back of the tank. The UTH heats the tank via conduction, so they have to be touching well. Also, you don't want to toast your static cling (plastic). It will make awful smells and release chemicals that are probably bad for crabs and there's a risk of fire. Your goal is to heat the glass, which will heat the air inside your tank.

Most crabbers with UTHs use interior decorations for color instead of relying on backdrops. I wouldn't cover the back wall where the UTH is entirely with decorations, but if you want to put decorations an inch or so in front of the glass, or attach sporadic command hooks and vines to the glass, that should be fine. As an added bonus, that will give the crabs more stuff to climb and explore. :)
RIP Athena

Topic author
Fledgling

Post by Fledgling » Wed May 24, 2017 6:11 pm

Hermias_mom wrote:
You should probably remove it. The Ultratherm should be taped flat directly to the glass on the back of the tank. The UTH heats the tank via conduction, so they have to be touching well. Also, you don't want to toast your static cling (plastic). It will make awful smells and release chemicals that are probably bad for crabs and there's a risk of fire. Your goal is to heat the glass, which will heat the air inside your tank.

Most crabbers with UTHs use interior decorations for color instead of relying on backdrops. I wouldn't cover the back wall where the UTH is entirely with decorations, but if you want to put decorations an inch or so in front of the glass, or attach sporadic command hooks and vines to the glass, that should be fine. As an added bonus, that will give the crabs more stuff to climb and explore. :)
Alright, will do!

Topic author
Fledgling

Post by Fledgling » Thu May 25, 2017 7:01 am

Ok, so I'm just going to give a brief update to make sure I'm not missing anything:

My sub is now at a solid 6"

I've ordered an Ultratherm UTH (6"x17") and will be removing the cling background when it comes in.

I've also ordered a ton of new sponges. This time I'll clean them properly. I'll offer the old one as a snack after it done drying out.

I now have a few new food options and will be acquiring more the next time I go grocery shopping. I also got a mortar and pestle to grind up the freeze dried foods into a chunky powder for easier eating. The new foods include freeze dried strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and mealworms, as well as peanuts, pumpkin seeds, and millet. I realize the grinding might be overkill, but it was kinda fun preparing the foods :)

My local walmart didn't have any good hygrometers in stock, so I ordered one.

I'll be stopping by a local craft store to find more shells and some fishing net for climbing. I'm realizing now that my tank space is extremely limited, but I can't upgrade quite yet. :/

I've extended the area of the moss pit and will be seeking different options for the saltwater pool.

Just a quick question: Do I need a pool for freshwater as well? Or would a smaller dish be ok? (Running out of open floor space...)

Topic author
Fledgling

Post by Fledgling » Thu May 25, 2017 7:05 am

Oh, and since I don't know how big the crabs will be yet, I'm going to hold off on ordering more shells for now. But I've done plenty of window shopping through the shopping resources page! What are your favorite places to shell shop?

Hermias_mom

Post by Hermias_mom » Thu May 25, 2017 9:41 am

Fledgling wrote:Ok, so I'm just going to give a brief update to make sure I'm not missing anything:

My sub is now at a solid 6"

I've ordered an Ultratherm UTH (6"x17") and will be removing the cling background when it comes in.

I've also ordered a ton of new sponges. This time I'll clean them properly. I'll offer the old one as a snack after it done drying out.

I now have a few new food options and will be acquiring more the next time I go grocery shopping. I also got a mortar and pestle to grind up the freeze dried foods into a chunky powder for easier eating. The new foods include freeze dried strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and mealworms, as well as peanuts, pumpkin seeds, and millet. I realize the grinding might be overkill, but it was kinda fun preparing the foods :)

My local walmart didn't have any good hygrometers in stock, so I ordered one.

I'll be stopping by a local craft store to find more shells and some fishing net for climbing. I'm realizing now that my tank space is extremely limited, but I can't upgrade quite yet. :/

I've extended the area of the moss pit and will be seeking different options for the saltwater pool.

Just a quick question: Do I need a pool for freshwater as well? Or would a smaller dish be ok? (Running out of open floor space...)

Sounds like you're really on top of things. That's great!!! Good for you on doing your research! :)

I had a few thoughts for you. I recently set up a 10 gallon myself several months ago, and have learned a lot in the process, so I thought I'd share. You're right, a 10 gallon is not as much space as you think once you get everything in there - I was disappointed to discover this myself. I'm planning a 29 gallon upgrade as soon as all my crabs are up. I especially want to put in a modified hamster wheel, and some more second level fun...

Sponges - My take on it is, using sponges is an old practice, although the pet stores TOTALLY push them. They're not needed, and they don't provide much nutrition. They won't hurt your crabs (that I know of), but they can grow mold and bacteria that is not so great for you, and they foul up the water when they do so. I bought a few starting out, and I guess you could put them in there dry if you want. Maybe they'll play with them or something. :) On the other hand, if you're able/willing to return them, I'd say spend your money on shells. :)

Isn't it fun to grind up the foods? I use a mortar and pestle myself, and enjoy that. You might check out the reptile section of the petstore for dried krill/river shrimp, dried crickets, etc, but what you have sounds great! I'm assuming the food you bought is all organic, with no added salt or sugar? One thing my crabs really love is maple and oak leaves/branches and raspberry canes. If you live in a place where they don't spray for mosquitoes, and can find these branches/leaves in an area where fertilizers, pesticides and herbicides haven't been applied, your crabs will love to climb them and eat them. Just wash them well in dechlorinated water and either freeze them (once dry) or put them in the oven for a bit to kill any pests or fungus so that stuff doesn't get into your crabitat along with the branches. Cuttlebone, organic honey, organic egg shells, and boiled or scrambled organic eggs are also usually well received. Protein should make up the biggest portion of their diet - I like to offer frozen cooked shrimp and crab, including their exoskeleton (no preservatives or additives - I have to buy them fresh over the seafood counter), and other folks have said cooked organic chicken, dried/cooked fish and fish skins are also well received. I have a special space in my freezer where I keep their animal protein, since most of the protein I have isn't dried. I'm assuming you've already seen the safe and unsafe food guide and food pyramid, and Kilimanjaro's post on crab nutrition, but if not, check them out: http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... m.php?f=25

You might want to check out the shell guide before you go shopping, if you haven't already. There are incorrect shells to get depending on the species of crab you end up with, and it sucks to waste your money :) http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 24&t=92552

You will definitely want two pools, in fact I think the freshwater is probably more important on a daily basis than the saltwater, although they need both. Most folks use a product like Prime to dechlorinate both fresh and saltwater, and Instant Ocean to create the marine saltwater. It's really important to use a dechlorinator that removes chlorine, chloramine, ammonia (released from neutralizing the chloramine), heavy metals, and nitrates/nitrites, and having the correct marine salt is really important for crab health - here's a post with more details if you haven't seen it yet. http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 25&t=92553 They do need to be able to submerge in their pools when desired and have a safe way to exit each pool.

I totally sympathize with you on floor space!!! I ended up sticking a lot of stuff to the walls (shell shop, moss pit, repti-hammock) and having slightly smaller pools to preserve their digging area. Here's an example of what I did with a ten gallon. It's not the most elegant, and I think I went way overboard with the insulation (I started in the winter and had the world's own trouble keeping the temperature up), but I do have nested water bowls for fresh and salt (nested bowls are like the BEST invention EVER and makes water changes so much easier!), and plenty of things for them to climb and eat. Yes, those are cut-off cottage cheese containers and they're really ugly, but they were the right size, and I figured I'm upgrading soon anyway... When I get my 29 gallon up and running, I plan to add airstones to the water pools, among other things. I thought this might give you a few ideas. http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 8&t=114062
RIP Athena

Topic author
Fledgling

Post by Fledgling » Thu May 25, 2017 4:13 pm

@Hermias_mom

Thank you so much for the advice! I'm already loving this HCA community, you are all so helpful!

I didn't do this right when I was 10, and I'm sick of bagging up dead crabs at work...the research is part of the fun!

Unfortunately, I live with my parents right now and didn't get to choose my tank size :(. Otherwise I would've loved to get a bigger one! I know I'll have to upgrade eventually, but I must make do for now...

Shoot. At least the sponges were only a buck a piece. I word at a PetSmart, and as much as I despise the way we're required to set up the hermie tank, I'm happy that I can pass all of this excellent info on to other potential crabbers! I have also been bending the "rules" a bit to try and make the crabs a little less stressed while they're here... :twisted:

I've got some dried shrimp and may invest in dried crickets and/or hermie approved freeze dried meat treats at a later time. My pocketbook is hurting a bit with the cost of the setup...Unfortunately I can't afford organic most of the time, but I have been checking every label religiously! No added sugars or preservatives here! I will be harvesting some blackberry leaves and twigs as well as other foliage the next time I'm at my grandpa's cabin. He's got some lakefront land that is nicely forested and he doesn't do any spraying in the wooded areas. I've got some cuttlebone on standby and have some local, farmer's market honey around the house. I'm going to be checking those guides RELIGIOUSLY.

I took a look at the shell guide after window shopping, lucky I didn't order anything! It just sucks how much shipping costs for me; sometimes more than the subtotal!

There's a store wide sale at work next week, so I'll be getting my Prime and IO then. I never thought of nesting bowls! Thank you so much! That will probably save me much grief--and mess! I'll have to try and find some containers small enough in diameter to work in my 10 gal...I might have to get another soap dish and raise the moss pit! I will probably have to look into insulation come winter...

Thanks again! You are all awesome!

Topic author
Fledgling

Post by Fledgling » Thu May 25, 2017 4:38 pm

Toys R Us play sand is safe, right? I made sure to buy sand that was stored inside to cut the chance of molds and bugs, but forgot to consider the make up of the sand itself...

Also, I've notice a random fruity smell around my tank set up...but the only fruit related decor is some pieces of grapewood...should I be concerned?

Hermias_mom

Post by Hermias_mom » Thu May 25, 2017 5:02 pm

Fledgling wrote:@Hermias_mom

Thank you so much for the advice! I'm already loving this HCA community, you are all so helpful!

I didn't do this right when I was 10, and I'm sick of bagging up dead crabs at work...the research is part of the fun!

Unfortunately, I live with my parents right now and didn't get to choose my tank size :(. Otherwise I would've loved to get a bigger one! I know I'll have to upgrade eventually, but I must make do for now...

Shoot. At least the sponges were only a buck a piece. I word at a PetSmart, and as much as I despise the way we're required to set up the hermie tank, I'm happy that I can pass all of this excellent info on to other potential crabbers! I have also been bending the "rules" a bit to try and make the crabs a little less stressed while they're here... :twisted:

I've got some dried shrimp and may invest in dried crickets and/or hermie approved freeze dried meat treats at a later time. My pocketbook is hurting a bit with the cost of the setup...Unfortunately I can't afford organic most of the time, but I have been checking every label religiously! No added sugars or preservatives here! I will be harvesting some blackberry leaves and twigs as well as other foliage the next time I'm at my grandpa's cabin. He's got some lakefront land that is nicely forested and he doesn't do any spraying in the wooded areas. I've got some cuttlebone on standby and have some local, farmer's market honey around the house. I'm going to be checking those guides RELIGIOUSLY.

I took a look at the shell guide after window shopping, lucky I didn't order anything! It just sucks how much shipping costs for me; sometimes more than the subtotal!

There's a store wide sale at work next week, so I'll be getting my Prime and IO then. I never thought of nesting bowls! Thank you so much! That will probably save me much grief--and mess! I'll have to try and find some containers small enough in diameter to work in my 10 gal...I might have to get another soap dish and raise the moss pit! I will probably have to look into insulation come winter...

Thanks again! You are all awesome!
I feel for you about the $$$ for crab food. It can be pricey to get variety, luckily they only eat a miniscule amount at a time, so having a good way to store it for a while is essential.

For shells, if you want a local option, check out all your craft stores. In the US these might be Hobby Lobby, Michaels, Jo-Anne's Fabric, etc. I've found some large variety bags of shells at each of those places with 4-11 usable shells in them. Most of what I've found is green or gold turbos (gold turbos are not well liked usually by PPs, so I've tried to not buy those so much) and cittarium pica shells (formerly worn by hermit crabs - I could tell from looking at the wear marks). I used the scallops in the bags for food dishes for individual foods, and you can crush up some of the more delicate other shells as a calcium source if you want to, or use them as tank decorations.

Also see if you have a saltwater aquarium shop around (aka reefer shop). The one near me uses Mexican turbo snails to clean their saltwater aquarium tanks, but the snails die after a while, so I bought a bunch of the empty shells from them for my crabs.

Wherever you get the shells, please remember to boil them (I do it for at least 10 minutes) in dechlorinated freshwater and rinse them out before giving them to your crabs. This helps kill any parasites/fungus and loosens/removes any dirt. After they're boiled and rinsed, you can rinse them in dechlorinated marine saltwater, and then let them air dry. The saltwater rinse helps the crabs be interested in them a bit more.

See if you have an organic grocery store around, like Whole Foods. I think everything they carry is organic, and the one near me has a good bulk dry goods section. It really is okay to ask at the seafood counter if you can buy one shrimp, or one crab leg. My shrimp cost a $1.00. Anytime the salespeople give me a weird look at the grocery store, I tell them all about my hermit crabs. :lol:

Here's a link on how to set up nested pools with airstones. Both the nesting idea and the airstones are pretty cool, you can do either or both. http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... sh+bubbler

The thrift store is my friend. I've been through 4 sets of bowls already, trying to find what worked for me, and I got most of them from the thrift store. That's also where I got the plastic containers for the shell shop and moss pit, plastic crates for them to climb, bathroom caddys, etc. Thrift stores and consignment sales are also great places to get used tanks. If your parents are not good with you getting a larger tank, see if you can just get a taller one, or an only slightly larger one. Those extra inches of height can really help with space in the tat.

FYI, crabs have been known to double in size in a year and can live 10-20+ years in captivity under good conditions, and in a perfect world they all grow up to be jumbos, so eventually you may need a much bigger tank.

Good luck and have fun!!!
RIP Athena

Hermias_mom

Post by Hermias_mom » Thu May 25, 2017 5:18 pm

Fledgling wrote:Toys R Us play sand is safe, right? I made sure to buy sand that was stored inside to cut the chance of molds and bugs, but forgot to consider the make up of the sand itself...

Probably the sand is fine. It should be silica sand that is sold as playsand. If you're worried, you can wash and dry it or run a magnet through it and see if you come up with anything, but odds are if it was packaged for children it will be all right.
RIP Athena

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu May 25, 2017 8:20 pm

Hello! Welcome to the HCA! I've been on Tapatalk lately, and have missed a few posts. Yours has been one of them. I just wanted to add a few things. I know most has been addressed via posts after this, but this will be little easier. Hope it helps :) This way I know I haven't missed anything :)
Hermiearth wrote:
Fledgling wrote:Calling all experienced crabbers!

I'm a new soon-to-be crabber and I just finished my tank setup. I was hoping that I could get some feedback before ordering any crabs. I think I would like to get some ruggies. Is that OK for a new crabber, or should I stick to PPs? Would 2 or 3 be ok for my 10 gal? I work at a PetSmart and hate how misinformed the industry, and my coworkers, are and I want to do this right!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?

A 2:1 mixture of play sand and EE. It's about 4-5 inches right now.

H: Sub needs to be a minimum of 6 inches or 3x the height of largest crab, whichever is deeper. 2:1 ratio is ok. Make sure that sub is wet to sandcastle consistency- many use marine salt water to fight bacteria (not needed).

GB: You can use dechlorinated marine saltwater or dechlorinated fresh water. I personally recommend the msw. :)

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?

I have the ZooMed dual hermit crab meter, but a calibration showed that the hydrometer is out of whack and there's not really any way to change it. So I may have to get a new one...

It's currently on the side about 3 inches from the top.

H: Anologs tend to be wonky, you can buy digital from Walmart which works great.

GB: At Walmart, there is a great hygrometer/thermometer for $8 made by Acurite. It is in the home improvement section by the air filters. It is digital, and displays current, as well as the high and low for the last 24 hours :)

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?

Not yet, but I have a ZooMed hermit crab UTH. I'm just deciding where to put it since I have a tank background on the back of the tank.

H: That most likely will not be strong enough to keep them warm (80f min temp) many here use UTH from reptile basics- these are great and can be insulated with reflectix tape.

GB: Zoomeds are okay. I personally don't care for them. Some crabbers are okay with them. I prefer the UTHs. www.reptilebasics.com or www.beanfarm.com you would want to buy one that is the length of the back of your tank. It would be placed above the substrate. BTW - if you wanted to insulate, you would use reflectix INSULATION - not the tape. The tape would be to tape the insulation up. Or, you could use aluminum foil, (shiny side facing in), foam board or styrofoam.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?

I will provide fresh and salt. I get well water, but I also have a TopFin water conditioner as well. For salt I currently have a bottle of ZooMed saltwater conditioner, but I will be buying some IO soon. For the salt I mix 1 tsp per cup of water.

H: I think well water has to be declorinated- most here use prime. Zoomed is not strong enough, IO is good.

GB: You need a dechlorinator for sure. Dechlorinator needs to remove chlorine, chloramine and neutralize ammonia and heavy metals. Most of us do use Prime. Zoomed salt is not a good salt. You need to mimic ocean water. Most of use Instant Ocean. Mix according to directions. Pools need to be deep enough to fully submerge in and safely get out of.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?

I have ZooMed pellets, dried blood worms, sun-dried red shrimp, Hikari's crab food, dried apple slices, and dried organic coconut. I will also offer fresh fruits and veggies and will probably harvest acorns, blackberries, and blackberry leaves from my grandpa's land. I want to try and stick mostly to dried to reduce odor.

H: Try and provide lots of protein, make sure to check out the HCA guides!

GB: Some commercial foods are not safe. I will provide you with a link. Anything given to the crabs needs to be pesticide and fertilizer free, so give organic if possible.
Food pyramid: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92554
Safe food list: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92557
Unsafe food list: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92556
Commercial food list: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92555

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?

Hopefully ruggies!

H: I'm not sure about them, hopefully another crabber will chime in.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?

N/A

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?

10 gal glass aquarium with a plastic aquarium hood that can take LED bulbs. Right now I have 2 blue bulbs in there, but I also have a red bulb on standby for night viewing.

H: Is the hood glass?

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?

I'm hoping for 3 smalls (however LHC defines "small")

H: Although you would be ok with 3, keep in mind they grow quickly, I would recommend 2.

GB: I personally think 3 in a 10 gallon is overcrowded. 1 crab per 5 gallons is more humane.

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

I have a graduating size set of 8 from HCP and a shell from the ZooMed starter kit. I have also acquired some mystery snail shells from work (when a snail has passed and disintegrated). They are a little on the small side, but I've boiled them and cleaned any leftover snail bits out. I have about 8 or 9 of those.

H: check out the shell guide to make sure the ones from zoomed are good!

GB: The HCA recommends 3-5 shells per crab. I personally recommend more. There are incorrect shells to buy. You are probably best to wait and see what size your crabs are before you buy some. :)
Shell guide: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 24&t=92552

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?

Just from not realizing the coco hut was actually made of plastic *facepalm*. That has now been throughly rinsed.

GB: You could always buy a real one if you want, or make a different hide spot :)

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?

I was thinking every six months or so, depending on if anyone is under.

H: no need for deep cleans, they do more harm than good. Just pick up visible food scraps and poop- Pill bugs also make great janitors.

GB: Pill bugs are also known as isopods :)

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?

I have one in the saltwater dish, but forgot to microwave it before I soaked it...

H: Would recommend tossing the sling, make sure pools are deep enough for crabs to fully submerge with a safe way out.

GB: Sponges aren't necessary.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?

EVERYTHING

I'll post pics as soon as I figure out how to do that! (If anybody could instruct me how, I'd greatly appreciate it)
Welcome to the world of crabbing!! And welcome to the HCA! Tapatalk is a great app for the forum where you can easily post pics (:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Fledgling

Post by Fledgling » Fri May 26, 2017 11:10 am

Thank you for your response! Everyone here is so helpful!

Thanks for the insulation idea! That'll be a lot more cost effective for me. And the commercial food list link. I hadn't come across that post yet.

Hermias_mom

Post by Hermias_mom » Fri May 26, 2017 11:25 am

Fledgling wrote:Thank you for your response! Everyone here is so helpful!

Thanks for the insulation idea! That'll be a lot more cost effective for me. And the commercial food list link. I hadn't come across that post yet.

FYI, you mention you have a ZooMed UTH. Please note, you CANNOT insulate over a ZooMed UTH - it is a severe fire risk if you do that. I know of at least one person who inadvertently nearly set their apartment on fire. Ultratherm brand UTH's can be insulated over safely. That's one reason many crabbers like them so much.

What you can do, if you use the ZooMed UTH, is insulate around it - if you were to put the ZooMed UTH on the back of your tank, then you could insulate the back of the tank around the UTH - you would not put any insulation over the UTH, but rather around it (make a cut-out for the UTH), so you are putting the insulation straight onto the glass of your tank, on the outside of your tank. I tried a ZooMed and an All LIving Things UTH when I first set up my 10 gallon, and was seriously unimpressed. They just didn't seem to heat the tat like it needed to be heated. But if the ZooMed is what you have and you can't take it back, it can't hurt to try. Maybe it will work for you.

Good luck!
Last edited by Hermias_mom on Fri May 26, 2017 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Athena