I have a LID

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
WhimsyMimsyMo

I have a LID

Post by WhimsyMimsyMo » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:23 am

I finally bought some plexiglass for the lid of my crabitat. I still have yet to build the lid itself but I'll have a hole in the middle for my UVB bulb to shine through. I will make it far enough away for the crabs not to be overheated from it.

KayedeeLove<3

Re: I have a LID

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:21 pm

Uvb bulbs typically don't put off much heat just uvb rays. There is a much more expensive specialty bulb that can put out both. Just watch out for that and your needs while shopping ;)

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:12 pm

KayedeeLove<3 wrote:Uvb bulbs typically don't put off much heat just uvb rays. There is a much more expensive specialty bulb that can put out both. Just watch out for that and your needs while shopping ;)
My UVB bulbs put off about 2 degrees of heat. I would still use caution with plexiglass and any type of heat. Plexiglass will melt if the heat is sitting directly on top of it. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

daws409

Post by daws409 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:18 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
KayedeeLove<3 wrote:Uvb bulbs typically don't put off much heat just uvb rays. There is a much more expensive specialty bulb that can put out both. Just watch out for that and your needs while shopping ;)
My UVB bulbs put off about 2 degrees of heat. I would still use caution with plexiglass and any type of heat. Plexiglass will melt if the heat is sitting directly on top of it. :)
My uvb strip puts off about 5-7 degrees of heat. I choose a 46" strip bulb which is 54 watts.... Guess it depends on what your setup is like and the type of bulb you have.

Edit- when using UVB, nothing is supposed to between it and the crabs (screen, glass, plexi, etc). Having things between blocks the amount UVB entering the crabitat.

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:29 pm

daws409 wrote:
GotButterflies wrote:
My uvb strip puts off about 5-7 degrees of heat. I choose a 46" strip bulb which is 54 watts.... Guess it depends on what your setup is like and the type of bulb you have.

Edit- when using UVB, nothing is supposed to between it and the crabs (screen, glass, plexi, etc). Having things between blocks the amount UVB entering the crabitat.
She stated that she had a hole cut in the plexiglass, but even then, the fixture will be hot, so I think that might melt the plexiglass (if sitting on the plexiglass). She should probably use a stand with it for safety.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

daws409

Post by daws409 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:32 pm

GotButterflies wrote:She stated that she had a hole cut in the plexiglass, but even then, the fixture will be hot, so I think that might melt the plexiglass (if sitting on the plexiglass). She should probably use a stand with it for safety.
Makes sense...

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

Topic author
WhimsyMimsyMo

Post by WhimsyMimsyMo » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:38 am

Hi guys, thanks for replying! I'm probably going to be bad at communicating back for a bit. My last push with the room is underway so I can find Houdini crabs more easily, and they don't eat something they shouldn't..... good input from all! I'll be taking that into consideration.