The ChelSEA Hotel: UNDER CONSTRUCTION

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
CrabMater

The ChelSEA Hotel: UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Post by CrabMater » Mon May 01, 2017 6:31 am

Hey Crabbers, the ground breaking on the ChelSEA Hotel has finally begun. (Pictures to come eventually) I want to do this right bc the first time I had no idea what I was walking into in regard to crabbin'.
My first question was: my current tat is mostly beach sand+ EE. Can I add that to the new tat EE?
I like the idea of them having natural beach sand. And I wont have beach access till July.

2) How many EE bricks to get about 7" of sub in a 40 gal breeder (36"lx18"w.) I read 6 but ive never done it before.

Thats it for now. Im slowly collecting everything FIRST. HCA has taught me so much. Ill post my questions here as I go. Hope to be able to build a Forever Home for my guys. Thanks in advance for your help and advice.
CrabMater to 2PPs : John & Diana (formerly Cherry Bomb)
Crabbin' since June '16 (RIP Pinchy 7/16 / RIP Dean )

MORE SUBSTRATE!

Da_Stos208

Re: The ChelSEA Hotel: UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Post by Da_Stos208 » Mon May 01, 2017 8:55 am

CrabMater wrote:Hey Crabbers, the ground breaking on the ChelSEA Hotel has finally begun. (Pictures to come eventually) I want to do this right bc the first time I had no idea what I was walking into in regard to crabbin'.
My first question was: my current tat is mostly beach sand+ EE. Can I add that to the new tat EE?
I like the idea of them having natural beach sand. And I wont have beach access till July.

2) How many EE bricks to get about 7" of sub in a 40 gal breeder (36"lx18"w.) I read 6 but ive never done it before.

Thats it for now. Im slowly collecting everything FIRST. HCA has taught me so much. Ill post my questions here as I go. Hope to be able to build a Forever Home for my guys. Thanks in advance for your help and advice.
If I were you i'd just buy as much substrate as your budget allows. Better to have too much than too little, and besides, you can then have extra in case you want to upgrade later!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon May 01, 2017 9:02 am

Exciting!! Can't wait to see pictures! Your crabs are going to go nuts! Yes, you can use the current substrate that you have :) EE bricks expand, so honestly, I'm not sure. I would try 6 to start with! :) Sorry!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
CrabMater

Post by CrabMater » Mon May 01, 2017 9:23 am

DaStos: I hear ya. Currently i have 9 bricks. And about 20lbs of beach sand . This is just to begin.
GB: IM TOO EXCITED. I am glad you think its ok to add current tat's mostly sand sub.
Ill definitely post pics as it goes.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

MORE SUBSTRATE!

ClawedIntoMyHeart

Post by ClawedIntoMyHeart » Mon May 01, 2017 5:51 pm

I have a 40 breeder. And I Just made it up today. I used 8 bricks to do 7" in three quarters of the tank, and then 50 pounds of sand to fill the other quarter. So I'd use 11 bricks to fill 7" in the whole length of the tank. It took a lot more than I expected

Topic author
CrabMater

Post by CrabMater » Mon May 01, 2017 5:53 pm

Holy cats!!! Thats a lot Clawed.... i was not expecting that but I thank you for sharing your experience. I guess ill be ordering more

MORE SUBSTRATE!

HeyItsEggs

Post by HeyItsEggs » Mon May 01, 2017 6:11 pm

Congrats! I was real excited when I got my 40B too! One quick question though, what does ChelSEA mean? I am guessing your name is Chelsea and it is a play on words? :lol:
Sophia aka "Eggs"
Four PPs, Rio, Rolo, Curlz and Malibu in a 40 gallon
May they rest in peace- Mango- 1/13/17 and Stefanio- 1/10/17

Topic author
CrabMater

Post by CrabMater » Mon May 01, 2017 6:14 pm

You got it Eggs. Im in NYC
the Chelsea is a fabulous old hotel where weird artists and musicians go to be left alone . I think crabs would stay at the ChelSEA.

MORE SUBSTRATE!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon May 01, 2017 7:36 pm

CrabMater wrote:You got it Eggs. Im in NYC
the Chelsea is a fabulous old hotel where weird artists and musicians go to be left alone . I think crabs would stay at the ChelSEA.

What an awesome play on words! Love it! Extremely creative!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
CrabMater

Post by CrabMater » Mon May 01, 2017 7:50 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
CrabMater wrote:You got it Eggs. Im in NYC

What an awesome play on words! Love it! Extremely creative!

Thanks GB Image

MORE SUBSTRATE!

Topic author
CrabMater

Post by CrabMater » Wed May 03, 2017 12:15 pm

Ok Crabbers, put your thinking caps on. Id like to put a small patch of my tat, lets say the right side, a 1/5 of the tank to be JUST river rocks. Why? Change of pace. Different texture for them to walk on. I would place the walking wheel on this side, a small pool of water to wade in. Changing shells, etc. But this area would NOT be for digging. I am a novice so stop me if this is dangerous to them.

I imagined this small of an area would not impact humidity. I think some sort of divider sunk between the sub and the rocks so tunnelling crabs wont accidentally dig into it. I drew a quick sketch. I apologize im advance for how crude it is.
http://imgur.com/a/u47Rh
Can an experienced tank builder let me know if this is feasible ? What am i missing Big Picture wise. Might just be a corner. Dont want to take up too much digging area. The sketch is more for visualization.
Thanks guys.

Edit: I was looking at my tat and my river rocks are in a tupperware box. Could I just sink this into the tat for a patch of rocks the crabs could dig around? Im thinking yes :)

MORE SUBSTRATE!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed May 03, 2017 6:31 pm

It's doable, but, if it were me, I would prefer the rocks in a Tupperware container/ or Rubbermaid shoebox. Gives you more options decorating in the future for your crabitat too.

Topic author
CrabMater

Post by CrabMater » Wed May 03, 2017 6:33 pm

GotButterflies wrote:It's doable, but, if it were me, I would prefer the rocks in a Tupperware container/ or Rubbermaid shoebox. Gives you more options decorating in the future for your crabitat too. Image

Yes, i like the idea of the rocks being in a tub of some sort for the exact reason you gave. Also, if i want to replace it, i can pop it out and plug it w sub. Image

MORE SUBSTRATE!

Topic author
CrabMater

Post by CrabMater » Sat May 06, 2017 3:24 pm

UPS was at my place again. NBD. :banana:
Today I got my wheel. I got the big one to accommodate them when they grow. I have questions about it.
Should I line it w coco fiber? It seems plastic-y. I dont imagine them getting good traction on the inside. Its very smooth, nothing at all like anything in their enclosure.
If yes, would that coco fiber make it too heavy to spin the wheel? Something lighter? Maybe just a strip in the middle. (Sigh)

MORE SUBSTRATE!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat May 06, 2017 8:00 pm

CrabMater wrote:UPS was at my place again. NBD. :banana:
Today I got my wheel. I got the big one to accommodate them when they grow. I have questions about it.
Should I line it w coco fiber? It seems plastic-y. I dont imagine them getting good traction on the inside. Its very smooth, nothing at all like anything in their enclosure.
If yes, would that coco fiber make it too heavy to spin the wheel? Something lighter? Maybe just a strip in the middle. (Sigh)
I currently have three wheels. I have purchased the 4th wheel, but haven't had the time to make it. I would not recommend cocofiber as the lining. I Know you don't like plastic period...but I think it would make the wheels too heavy. I use plastic canvas instead. Hermit crabs usually come up covered in sand. My wheels are all covered in sand...so I think the sand would also weigh the coco mat down. At least with the plastic canvas I have the option of taking it out and rinsing it off with no wear and tear. ;) To each's own though. Hermit crabs spread their legs when walking...you need the traction wide - something down the middle won't work.