Crabitat: Cleaning Guide

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Fledgling

Crabitat: Cleaning Guide

Post by Fledgling » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:55 pm

I'm a new crabber and have run into a bit of contradictory info on how everything in the tank should be properly sterilized. I ended up boiling a few hard plastic items by mistake as a result. I wanted to help make a guide so the correct info can be quickly consulted by newbies like me.

Could experienced crabbers help me fill in the blanks please? And add items and info as needed?

Shells

Bring declorinated freshwater to a boil on the stove. Add shells and boil for 5 minutes. Allow to cool and lay out to dry.

Aquarium Decorations

Includes: Plastic plants, Silk plants, Hard plastic decorations, most everything bought in the aquarium section of the store

Soak in a solution of declorinated freshwater and vinegar for *blank period of time*. Rinse well with declorinated freshwater.

Wood Items

Includes: Coco Huts, Twigs, Barks, etc.

*blank*

Used Tanks

Scrub well with a solution of declorinated freshwater and vinegar.

Stone Items

*blank*

Foraged Foods

Includes: Leaves, Flowers, etc.

*blank*

Sands and Substrates

*will fill in when off mobile*

I'm sure there's much more, please let me know! I'll edit as I gather info. Those who've done DYI builds, please tell us how you cleaned your chosen materials!

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
4 PPs at this party: Toby(f), Robin(f), Speedy(m), Wally(TBD)

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Crabitat: Cleaning Guide

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:42 pm

my idea of duration, longer time frames doesn't hurt but theres honestly no need.
Aquarium decorations: 20-30 mins

Wood: scrub to remove particles, eg: dust. Then bake on the lowest setting in oven for 10-30mins, keep check. Some also like to soak, but no need as you don't really need to worry about tannins effecting the tank... Plus, crabs like to nom on wood for tannins.

Stone: Im an aquarist through and through, I personally like to boil mine. However, if a rock contains an air pock, or a water pocket and then builds enough pressure, it could explode with force. So, for your safety in mind, a scrub with vinegar could work (or water/vinegar mix) :)

Foods: can add right in to tank, some recommend keeping it in the freezer to kill off bugs. When no one is home, I tend to use the microwave to 'nuke' it.

Sand: if bag is unopened, feel free to add it right in. Some like to wash and then spread it out on baking trays (keeping it shallow) and then bake on a low heat... I personally view this as too much effort and a waste of time.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies