Space for a new tank

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
he-man

Space for a new tank

Post by he-man » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:31 pm

A couple of months ago my amazing betta fish, Indigo, passed away. He died because of a parasite called Ick that is very hard to get rid of. Because the chemicals used to clean the tank would be too harmful for any new fish, we just decided to trash the old tank. While I was looking at the 'You know you are a crabber when....' thread, I got random inspiration to put a new crabitat or ISO tank where Indigo's old tank was. The space is 11 inches wide, 27 1/2 inches long, and 12 1/2 inches tall (I left about 6 1/2 inches for a heat lamp and my hand). I was wondering if I should put an ISO tank or another crabitat, and how many gallons that shelf could fit with those measurements. Does any one know of a good priced 10-20 gallon tank?
A pic of the space:
https://goo.gl/photos/2d7msjseNQLZPXeW6
my mom takes care of my crabs now cause im planning college B)

Topic author
he-man

Re: Space for a new tank

Post by he-man » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:31 pm

http://www.petsmart.com/reptile/habitat ... 15011.html Is this a good tank size for two small hermies? (not going to use any of the stuff except the tank)

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:14 pm

In that space all you could fit is a 10 gallon, at 10 x 20 x 12. Anything larger is 12 inches wide.

The kit you linked is just the stuff that goes inside. It does not include the tank.

Just FYI - ick is present in almost all aquariums naturally. Any fish coming from the store will bring it home. It takes something else affecting their immune system for it to break and cause an infection. Usually it's stress from bad water parameters (high ammonia or nitrate) or from the fish being kept at the wrong temperature. Once the underlying issue has been fixed, warm water temps and daily water changes will get it under control and allow the fish to heal. I've brought home many fish with ick over the years and have never used any medication or salt to treat them, just constant water changes and bumping the temps up to whatever the highest they can handle is. If you used Methylene Blue, it will stain the silicone but it won't hurt any new fish in the future if you change out the filter and start from scratch. However, it could potentially harm invertebrates for a long while.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
he-man

Post by he-man » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:48 am

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Space for a new tank

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:17 am

Also, keeping Indian almond leaves in with Betta fish keeps them healthy too. Sorry about your fish!

Edit: why don't you buy a used tank off of Craigslist, OfferUp, Letgo, Bookoo, hit garage sales, etc. you'll get more for your money!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
he-man

Post by he-man » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:11 pm

Thanks for the fish advice! I tried Craig's list, and it was to hard for me to use. As for garage sales, I don't trust the quality of the tank, and I live in a desert, so it gets really hot. I'll try the other sites though. Thanks!
OfferUp seems good, but you have to pick stuff up, so I'm awfully skeptical. The other sites didn't have what I was looking for.

daws409

Post by daws409 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:28 pm

Honeycloud6744 wrote:Thanks for the fish advice! I tried Craig's list, and it was to hard for me to use. As for garage sales, I don't trust the quality of the tank, and I live in a desert, so it gets really hot. I'll try the other sites though. Thanks!
OfferUp seems good, but you have to pick stuff up, so I'm awfully skeptical. The other sites didn't have what I was looking for.
I've pick up lots of things off of OfferUp including my 40 Breeder which was only $30. I also got my Bamboo tank (120G which doesn't count extra 60-75 gal topper space) off OfferUp. I paid $115 for it - he said he paid over $800 for it.

Yes, most things are pick up only but you can ask to meet in a public location if you prefer... When "picking up" items from ANY website, you should always have a buddy/friend with you just to be safe!

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

Topic author
he-man

Post by he-man » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:36 pm

Thanks, daws! I'll ask my mom about maybe buying a tank form there. Do you have to create an account to buy anything?

daws409

Post by daws409 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:55 pm

Honeycloud6744 wrote:Thanks, daws! I'll ask my mom about maybe buying a tank form there. Do you have to create an account to buy anything?
YW! OfferUp, yes you'll need an acct. This helps with watching/saving things you're interested in and keeps up with any conversations. If you find something you like/want, ask them tons of questions. Don't settle for a certain price. Sometimes you can talk them down. (Guy wanted 175 for my bamboo tank) And remember not to give any personal info like address or phone unless you're sure of a purchase. Good Luck!

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

Topic author
he-man

Post by he-man » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:59 pm

Thanks! I'll ask my mom if she will be willing to set up an account and drive me to a public place to pick up a tank that I will buy.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:33 pm

A lot of police stations are offering their parking lots as meeting places for safety. Might be worth a call to see if they would let you do that. I have a giant husband so I've never been to concerned as long as it was in public and in daylight, but if it were me alone I'd be a lot more careful.

I find a lot of deals on Facebook, either through their marketplace or the local buy sell trade groups. Different places each have a classifieds that is more active then the others, it seems

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
he-man

Post by he-man » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:38 pm

Thanks! I'll tell my mom that when I get enough money. Any links to small, cheap climbing branches? Is Arizona pine wood with out any any spikes safe for crabs?

Hermias_mom

Post by Hermias_mom » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:03 pm

If you're in the desert, maybe try for some Cholla or Ghostwood (manzanita I think is another name for it). You can bake it in the oven on low heat to remove bugs, and freeze it for a while too. Saltwater soak followed by low bake outside or in the oven is what a lot of folks do to avoid mold.
4PPs and tons of FUN in a 29 gallon!
Hermia(F), Helena(F), Branch(M), and Tiger (M)
RIP Athena

Topic author
he-man

Post by he-man » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:52 pm

Where can I find some that I can take a branch from legally in Arizona?

Topic author
he-man

Post by he-man » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:55 pm

Good news! I actually have a 10 gallon tank that I can use! I totally forgot about it until I mentioned my plan to my mom. All I need to do is clean it out. :D