Don’t know what to do with heat mats?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:04 am

I am upgrading my tank again but this time I am upgrading to a custom 70 gallon and I don’t know what to do about the heat mat? I have i a 14 watt heat mat that works well to heat my 20 gallon. The main problem is that this is not a regular 70 gallon since the length is 72” and I don’t think there would be a heat mat that long. ( I live in Canada also so they are pretty hard to find ). Any suggestions appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wlfwo

Re: Don’t know what to do with heat mats?

Post by Wlfwo » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:00 pm

Hopefully someone recalls the name of the place, Bean something. They have a heat tape? Something like that, it's customizable. That would be your best bet.

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk

I can hear my 75g whispering from the barn.

Topic author
Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:07 pm

Yes I have looked at the beam farm but I am pretty sure that it is only in the US so I don’t think I could get it from there but I will look at other places that have that. Thanks

Links

Post by Links » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:29 pm

https://beanfarm.com/

https://www.reptilebasics.com/

Not sure how your tank is built but for aquariums I know these UTH heaters work. I will be getting an 11x47 for my 55 gal. I have a 6x47 but I have to insulate the entire back and sides as well as using a blanket over the top and front. I was thinking of custom building something but if I use wood I don’t know if the UTH heat mats work. If that’s the case maybe a ceramic heat emitter is the way to go?

Topic author
Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:34 pm

Yes it is an glass aquarium so UTH will work I just did not think there was one long enough. Has anyone had any experience with heat tape is it easy to set up I was just wondering if I have to buy a bunch of other stuff to set it up thanks.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:54 pm

I use multiple heat mats, one on each side and two on the back. I do it because the room temp varies greatly where the tank is, but you could do it if you can't find one the appropriate size.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:51 pm

Thanks for all the help guys but I found ones that are a bit to long and half the size. ( I accidentally said that my tank was gonna be 72” long instead of 40” ). So I found one that was 48” so it would be 8 inches too long. Would it be okay if I rapped it around the sides? I also found one that was half the size but it’s way to expensive to buy 2 of them and a thermostat so I don’t know about it.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:54 pm

No, you can not wrap them around a corner. Doing that can cause the wires in the mat to break and can be a fire hazard.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:55 pm

Ok thanks

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:27 pm

I have an 11x35 that I use on my 40gallon that may work for you, winter months you may need to add an extra heat mat on the side, depending on how cold your house gets. I added a smaller one(can’t remember exact size right now) just to make sure I had the heat if I needed it and it ended up working out great. I know reptilebasics.com sells them and I believe beanfarm does as well. I usually just go with reptile basics bc they are a little cheaper. Hope you can find what you need. :)

Edit: Added link to 11x 35 ultratherm heat mat from reptilebasics.
https://www.reptilebasics.com/ultrathe ... uth-11-x35