Plant Food In Spider Plants

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
jonathon1989

Plant Food In Spider Plants

Post by jonathon1989 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:24 pm

I added spider plants to the tank and I just wanted to know if the plant food in the spider plants will harm the crabs.

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Plant Food In Spider Plants

Post by JoeHermits » Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:58 pm

Synthetic fertilizers aren’t the best for animals in high concentrations. Dilution is an option if you’re concerned.

Once they’re actually inside the plants, though, they’re assimilated into the tissues and are no longer a threat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:10 am

I'd reccomend repotting it in something like EE, abd doing a quarantine (growing it out the the tank for 2-3 weeks) before adding it to the tank.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:31 pm

I have an organic garden, and grow all of my plants in earthworm castings. This is safe for the hermit crabs. It is a great fertilizer for the plants too. When I do fertilize once a month, depending on the plant, I use organic fish emulsion, bat guano and liquid earthworm castings. This keeps my plants safe, and organic :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com