Can I have a crabitat without lid/cover?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
yic17

Post by yic17 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:17 am

Hi.

Currently, I have 2 glass tanks for my crabs. One is 10 gallons and one is 15 gallons.

I only have 2 crabs at the moment, but they're quite large (2.5-3 inches shell).

I currently have them separated one in each tank because when they're both in the same tank, one would try to take the other's shell even though there are many empty shells around.

Recently, I purchased a 40 gallon tub for my turtle to swim in. So I wonder if I could get another 40 gallon tub for my hermit crabs instead of using tanks?

Of course, using a tub means there will be no lid/cover so the humidity will drop.

Has anyone got experience with a crabitat without lid/cover and have the crabs be OK in it?

Hermiesguardian

Re: Can I have a crabitat without lid/cover?

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:53 am

I would say you need a lid. Tubs come with lids. Not only will there be no humidity, but they can climb out.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:04 am

Lids are pretty much a necessity with these humidity loving climbers! I keep some of mine in a couple of totes, complete with lid- but I make sure I get the clear sided ones and that they get enough light etc during the day. If you think they need to be separated, this is a cheap and easy way to go. Obvs they still need all the same things as before (heat, humidity, light, entertainment, pools of water) so be prepared for twice the upkeep as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

p2gg86

Post by p2gg86 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:30 pm

Even with lids, some crabs are still manage to escape and climb out. Most important though, it keeps humidity at their desirable.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

AutumnFalls

Post by AutumnFalls » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:55 pm

As others have said, you need a lid. And, you need a lid that's heavy enough that they can't push it up. I once had an escapee who was able to push up my screen lid and climb out. Thankfully, he didn't go far and I just found him chilling on top of the tank. :lol:

crabs_lex

Post by crabs_lex » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:32 am

of course it depends on how high your crabs can climb to the top of the tank for the longest time i had about 4 medium sized crabs and i didn’t use a lid but as i stared to adopt bigger crabs and added higher climbing areas i added a seven lid but i use weighted items to hold it down bc my big guy could definitely push the lid off if they wanted to!

so now i use a screen with wet paper towels to hold in humidity and weighted items to prevent the crabs from escaping

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:33 am

Screen with wet paper towels won't be nearly as effective at holding in humidity as a solid cover (plexi glass, glass, etc).
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:51 am

I would not recommend plexiglass are used to have a plexiglass on my 20 gallon but it just kept curving up since there was such a big difference in the temperature and humidity inside the tank and outside even if I waited it down it was still curving so much that crab could easily just walk out now on my 70 gallon I have a glass lid and it works perfectly. Just make sure if you’re using a glass lid for a big tank that you don’t have to lift up the whole surface of the top of the tank because that would be really heavy have some parts of the lid glued down to the tank so you don’t have to lift as much here is an example
Don’t mind The cords or the dirty glass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk