Coco fibre substrate - how often should it be changed?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
DobbyTheFreeCrab

Coco fibre substrate - how often should it be changed?

Post by DobbyTheFreeCrab » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:46 am

Hello!
I use coco fibre substrate for my crabby.
I've had him about 6 months now, and I'm changing the substrate today for the first time since I set up his crabitat. Every so often I move all the substrate around and mix it up to prevent any mold etc, and soak it again to rid any dry substrate from the underneath heat mat.
To me, aside from a few poops, the substrate still seems very clean and healthy (it even says on the packaging that its designed to rid odour and waste) so I don't want to swap it out unless necessary.
Anyone who uses this, or similar, how often is it recommended to switch it out with new?

Thanks!

doth

Re: Coco fibre substrate - how often should it be changed?

Post by doth » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:31 am

I'd avoid 100% substrate changes unless needed due to a bacterial bloom or flooding etc. IMO too scary to do that without needing to as you never know if the day you change it is the day a crab decided to start molting. I'd just continue spot cleaning & top up with a bit of new sub as needed.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

doth

Post by doth » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:33 am

Also, just saw your comment about the heat mat- if it is beneath the sub that can be ineffective and potentially dangerous as they are not meant to be placed underneath the quantity of sub needed for hermit crabs to safely molt. Better to put it at the back of the tank where it will get some air circulation.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Topic author
DobbyTheFreeCrab

Post by DobbyTheFreeCrab » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:47 am

Thank you very much for your feedback! I didn't think the substrate would need much care.

With regards to the heat mat, I have often wondered whether it would be OK. The viv I bought was previously used for a gecko so the heat mats are stuck to the bottom (outside the glass) so are difficult/impossible to take off and move. I do have a ceramic heat lamp in the back corner for keeping his temp up but he likes to climb on the ceiling so I always worry he may burn himself!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:19 am

If you can't remove the heat mats from the bottom of the tank, I would not use them. Unplug them, and buy new ones for the sides and/or back.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
DobbyTheFreeCrab

Post by DobbyTheFreeCrab » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:33 am

As soon as I got the reply I went downstairs and unplugged it don't worry! With it being so hot in the UK at the moment I doubt I'll need a heat mat for a while, but I will get some for the back ASAP.