About to dig up SIX CRABS

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: About to dig up SIX CRABS

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:05 am

Did you check all of your shells really well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:10 am

GotButterflies wrote:Did you check all of your shells really well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, I went through each shell in the shell shop because one of the purple Pinchers is in a shell WAY TOO big for him and I almost couldn't see him. That's what made me think to check the shells. I looked at each one and stuck a qtip gently into them to make sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:41 pm

I checked on the crabs earlier today in the middle of our moving loads. I saw this and immediately my heart sank because I thought "I lost my littest baby purple Pincher!!" My eyes started getting watery. I gently touched the edge of the shell to lean it back and I felt a little pincher withdraw into the shell. It's his exo, HE MOLTED OVERNIGHT! I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not since he's in an ISO tote and it's a surface molt in moss, but I'm hoping and praying its at least not going to kill him (or her! I haven't sexed them yet!) They're going to be moved into their new set up tonight. I'm moving them absolutely last so I can immediately tend to them once they're unloaded.
Please keep sending prayers and good vibes. We aren't in the clear yet, but getting there slowly!

4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:36 am

I’m sorry, Ciara. Maybe it’s a good thing he molted after you dug him/her up rather than you having to dig him up after being freshly molted. I’m really not sure, it seems like it would be easier on him than digging him up in the middle of a molt. Still sending good vibes and will keep you and crabby friends in our prayers.

♡ Rod ♡ Salty ♡ Bob ♡ Squirt ♡ Crabina ♡
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers »-♡->

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:19 pm

Hey y'all. Sorry I've been absent!!! Moving was finished in a day, but we hit problem after problem in the new house! Plus I had to clean the rent house, both of us had work, and I'm sick! I'm actually at the urgent Care now getting a shot and some antibiotics.
Basically the totes didn't work out. I cut them and attached them, but adding substrate was a disaster. The more I added to fill the bottom, the more it bowed out and I didn't want it to break. So, they went back into the 55 gallon. I added A LOT of substrate. I can't find my tape measure to see exactly, but I had 13 inches before and it's higher than that. Hopefully it settles a bit. Haha
I have 1 thats finishing eating his exo. He's got a couple of legs left.
Another one was getting ready to molt. I tried adding him into the tank to let him molt there but 3 times I noticed the others climbing on him so I moved him back into iso.
Still missing one baby E. I'm not sure if he's in some boxes or just gone, but I haven't found him yet.

I'll post some pictures when I can. Thanks for the prayers!

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:35 am

I’m sorry, Ciara. I hope you feel better! Hopefully your baby e will pop up somewhere unexpected. Hope everything is going well otherwise.

♡ Rod ♡ Salty ♡ Bob ♡ Squirt ♡ Crabina ♡
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers »-♡->

Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:41 pm

Did you ever find your little E?
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:41 am

Yeah I'm actually wondering how all this turned out too

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:16 pm

So, I never found my missing ecuadorian..
All 5 crabs left (4 purple pinchers and 1 ecuadorian) are all healthy! They're eating a ton and growing! I had a mishap with sebastian out of his shell and missing a pincher, so he's in iso still but he's fine and everyone's okay!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:05 am

I’m glad your other crabs are doing better😊. Ive read from other people that it is good to have at least 2 of a breed if you have only one. I hope Sebastian gets well soon!
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:41 am

Oliviet#1 wrote:I’m glad your other crabs are doing betterImage. Ive read from other people that it is good to have at least 2 of a breed if you have only one. I hope Sebastian gets well soon!
Yeah, once the 80 is set up ill be adding a few more crabs, for sure an e or two. He needs a buddy!

Thank you. Image

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:57 am

Glad to hear u got away with everyone basically intact! I am dreading the day I have to move

Ashleypink22

Post by Ashleypink22 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:22 pm

Just curious did you ever find him?

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:14 pm

Ashleypink22 wrote:Just curious did you ever find him?
No ma'am. :(

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:22 pm

ROSIEonFIRE wrote:Glad to hear u got away with everyone basically intact! I am dreading the day I have to move

I'm sorry I missed your post!
Thank you so much! The move was stressful. We have lots of animals, but the hermit crabs were the ones that needed the most tending to. The snake was chill in her cabinet, and the dogs went to a friends house for a couple of days to help out. The fish went into a few buckets for a few hours to get their tanks refilled.
I'm sad that I never found my E, I'm praying he is somewhere happy and healthy!

Good luck on your move! It's easier than it looks, I promise.

Edited to add: it's easier, but a KILLER on the back.... actually all the muscles. I was sore for days. ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk