Adding Substrate - What if they are Buried?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
finleyfoo

Adding Substrate - What if they are Buried?

Post by finleyfoo » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:16 pm

This is probably a silly question but I am a relatively new crabber - just over a month. The substrate in my 20 gallon tank is slanted. At the lowest end it is about an inch (the height of the water pools) and at the highest end is about 4 inches, maybe 5. I would like to get it up to 6 inches on the high end. I have a bag coming in the mail (sand/coco fiber premix) but I am unsure if it is ok just to add it on top. Both crabs are burrowed (though not on the deeper end). Is there a harm of putting substrate on top of current substrate even when the crabs are currently under? I don't want to trap them!

CrabHappens

Re: Adding Substrate - What if they are Buried?

Post by CrabHappens » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:25 pm

I believe, as long as you add no more than an inch a day, and don't pack it down, it should be fine!

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Hermiesguardian

Re: Adding Substrate - What if they are Buried?

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:13 pm

The height needs to be at least 6". Or 3x the height of your largest crab. Whichever is deeper wins. Then if you want a slant it can be higher on one end. Playsand at a hardware store is probably much cheaper.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi