What are your crabs up to?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

CrabbyChelle628

What are your crabs up to?

Post by CrabbyChelle628 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:11 pm

A couple of weeks ago 2 of mine were molting and only 1 was up. I decided to go get a couple of more. I made sure to go in the evening so I could see their activity level and so they would have to be dug up. I went a little crazy. I ENDED UP GETTING 5!!!!
Now I have 8 hermies ranging from —3 smalls,to 3 Medium, 1 large and 1 extra large.
-My originals were 1 small, 1 medium and the extra large. AKA. Marina, Caspian, and Riptide.
-The new ones were Turbo, Penny(like Penny Pincher or PP), Coral, Terra( like terrestrial), and Isora( Japanese god of the seashore). Unfortunately I named them before I sexed them, so their names might change. I don’t even know the sexes of my original 3. Turbo is a girl, and one of the smalls, and she’s named that for a reason the very first night I got her she did like 4 laps around the tank, and tried to wedge herself between my corner FW dish and the glass, that was when I finally got her in the tank.
When I brought them home, I set them on the screen lid while I set up a few more things. She was the only one running around like crazy. When I reached to pick her up she immediately ducked into her shell but held on to the screen lid with BOTH claws. I didn’t want to force her so she stayed like that for a good 15 min and every time she would start moving and I would try to grab her she would grab ahold of the screen again.
The Next day Marina came up from her molt, and she was and is very active. That first day she was crazy, she was using the new black tips on her claws and legs as picks as she climbed up the silicone seal in the corner of my tank. I thought at first it was Turbo but then I saw it was Marina
Penny is the other one sexed and it is a Large MALE!!! I named him Penny because he’s quiet, extremely shy, and he has the lightest colored legs of all of them, but you need him to be complete. Image
These are the 5 new ones. Penny is the big one and Turbo is the one in the front

CrabbyChelle628

Re: What are your crabs up to?

Post by CrabbyChelle628 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:22 pm

Riptide, Caspian( the middle) and Marina( the green). My Original 3 for size comparison

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrabbyChelle628

Post by CrabbyChelle628 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:26 pm

Caspian before is molt.

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:12 pm

CrabbyChelle628 wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:26 pm
Caspian before is molt.

I love them all so much :crabbigsmile: They are all so vibrant! I'm sure they're happy to be at their new home :D
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

Julsie

Post by Julsie » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:56 pm

Only 2 (maybe 3) out of my 10 crabs are not burrowed. This is the first time in a long time they have all been down at once so it’s pretty lame and nerve racking. I’m used to seeing 8-9 all out at once. The two that I definitely know are not burrowed are Big Poppa and Davy Jones (just came up after a molt). Big Poppa likes to sit on the second levels and frequents the food bowl VERY frequently. Davy Jones still seems sluggish despite coming up from her molt a week ago, she likes to sit by the UTH or in the second level coconut hut. She’s not very active but Big Poppa definitely is. Image

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:39 pm

Julsie wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:56 pm
Only 2 (maybe 3) out of my 10 crabs are not burrowed. This is the first time in a long time they have all been down at once so it’s pretty lame and nerve racking. I’m used to seeing 8-9 all out at once. The two that I definitely know are not burrowed are Big Poppa and Davy Jones (just came up after a molt). Big Poppa likes to sit on the second levels and frequents the food bowl VERY frequently. Davy Jones still seems sluggish despite coming up from her molt a week ago, she likes to sit by the UTH or in the second level coconut hut. She’s not very active but Big Poppa definitely is. Image

"Look at 'em go!" Was the first thing I thought when I saw Big Poppa in the food bowl :lol:
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

Elli

Post by Elli » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:00 am

The big one is George and little purple is Penelope. I have only had them for 1 week and as a new hermit crab owner have had to change some things as I learn more and more. Today I installed a red reptile heat lamp and a uvb daylight lamp as I was having issues with low temperature and i have to say they have since become so active now that temp and humidity are at a better level. They are up and over things, Penelope likes to explore the coconut fibre straw like stuff around the driftwood log, george really likes the rock hut and sits in there when he's not checking out other shells and exploring.ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

CrabbyChelle628

Post by CrabbyChelle628 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:18 pm

Elli wrote:The big one is George and little purple is Penelope. I have only had them for 1 week and as a new hermit crab owner have had to change some things as I learn more and more. Today I installed a red reptile heat lamp and a uvb daylight lamp as I was having issues with low temperature and i have to say they have since become so active now that temp and humidity are at a better level. They are up and over things, Penelope likes to explore the coconut fibre straw like stuff around the driftwood log, george really likes the rock hut and sits in there when he's not checking out other shells and exploring.ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
What type is the little crab in the grey shell?

CrabbyChelle628

Post by CrabbyChelle628 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:19 pm

Painted shells................

Elli

Post by Elli » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:00 pm

I'm not sure what type they are but they came from Krabooz, hence the painted shells as well, I'm looking at getting more natural shells but until i do and the little one moves out I want to make sure there are enough sizes available before I take them out.

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:13 pm

Elli wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:00 pm
I'm not sure what type they are but they came from Krabooz, hence the painted shells as well, I'm looking at getting more natural shells but until i do and the little one moves out I want to make sure there are enough sizes available before I take them out.
Regardless, they're sweet little babies! I think they're Ecuadorians. :D

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:17 pm

How lazy can you get? Eating while laying on his side.

https://youtu.be/ZSdIQ-Vc5lY
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:29 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:How lazy can you get? Eating while laying on his side.

https://youtu.be/ZSdIQ-Vc5lY
That was too funny!
I tried to show my Mom, but her glasses aren't any good, and she couldn't see his little claw moving. Then she said, what's swimming in the water? I said those are aerators making bubbles mom. "Are you sure?" Yes Mom, I'm sure. LOL

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:42 pm

At 1:40 the crab on the vine falls in the pool. But also keep your eye on the other pool. Instead of easily walking down the ramp to get a drink, he practically comes out of his shell to dip his toe in. Yes, the level is low. I have to top it off. Then you can ff to 4:34 and see what he does. I know. It's long.

https://youtu.be/7cm1_VV9FaM
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:53 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:29 pm
That was too funny!
I tried to show my Mom, but her glasses aren't any good, and she couldn't see his little claw moving. Then she said, what's swimming in the water? I said those are aerators making bubbles mom. "Are you sure?" Yes Mom, I'm sure. LOL

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Yes Mom, I'm sure. LOL :hlol: