What are your crabs up to?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

omarhdz

Re: What are your crabs up to?

Post by omarhdz » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:55 pm

I have three crabs but I haven't chosen their names yet. The smallest one is very shy and is always hidden from me whereas the other one is quite adventurous and active, never afraid of me or any shadow, the first one to eat and the first one to wake up. Both of them like to climb and spend hours on the cholla sticks and the climbing mat, very often upside down. The third and biggest one is like a diva, always changing into new shells. It has been switching from its old magpie shell to a bigger tapestry turbo and then to a smaller green turbo. I put two different turbos, same size but different appearance. One of them has its inner mother of pearl dirty and not shiny besides a scar on the top. My "little diva" as I call it ended chosing the prettiest. Two days later changed its shell, and now it has a green turbo. I saw it changing between several shells more than once and always grabbing its old shell to avoid loosing it. It's like a very picky lady with her dresses and if he finds a shell he doesn't like, it will simply ignore it or bury it inside the small cave. I haven't seen it for almost a week, it has buried under the substrate and has made tunnels on it and maybe it's molting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:55 pm

Window molter is almost done eating the exo. Only a part of the big claw is left. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

kornchaser

Post by kornchaser » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:29 am

Can my crab actually pinch / cut through the mesh top? I never see Sid on the top and he's working on the mesh where the light hood doesn't cover it making huge clanging noises. He's in an 1 1/8" tapestry, growing out of it, probably fit better in a 1 1/4"... Would you consider him a large, x-large or Jumbo? I know he's too big for this current tank.
**ignore if nope for essay
We might have to fight with our new manager if it's one of our previous who is against tanks above 20g while the manager who had to quit didn't care. It's not on our lease. Mom isn't going to make me get rid of my hermits but just the 150g showing up during next inspection may not be the best idea with an overbearing manager...
**continue nopers
Point is, if I'm allowed a bigger tank should I go for / will he be comfy in a 75-90g or should I go straight for the 18" wide 12-15" plus sub huge foot print and overhead like 150g with 12 crabs total?
-

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:29 am

Bigger is better with crab tanks, always. If you have the room and the money I say go for the biggest you can. They grow so cutting down on how many times you have to upgrade the tank is best for you and your babies.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:30 am

Omg in my head I just saw you pulling out a crab during the inspection. Waving it at the inspectors "say hello to my little friend" lol that'll make them keep their mouths shut.

meg_and_the_zoo

Post by meg_and_the_zoo » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:55 am

Usually landlords are concerned about large tanks when used for fish because of there's a breach that much water can be a disaster. Plus that much weight on a 2nd+ floor apartment could be a no no.

Might want to touch base with your landlord to see if it's even an issue if not filled with water. I'm a former property manager and I never had a client complain about a larger tank for snakes, etc.

Zoo mom of 3 cats, a dog, a fish and 3 crabs

izombie616

Post by izombie616 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:00 pm

Just had to share... yesterday i took my daughter to a carnival and they have a game where you win a live hermit crab if you get the ball in a jar. We got our first hermit crab last year from this same carnival. Obviously i had to play and we won a hermit crab. He is bigger than our other 4 crabs but is also a PP. Today i have been checking on them frequently to see how he is adjusting and i just saw Jack sitting on the edge of the salt water dish feeling the new crab (jelly bean) while he was checKing out a new shell. Jelly bean pushed Jack into the salt water dish and then promptly switched into a new shell in front of me. It was a jerk move but really neat to see.

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:24 am

My largest crab - Iris - is sleeping in a really strange position. Image

Her front right walking leg is propping her up while she sleeps. It is hard to see because of the sand and condensation on the glass.

She is a really weird crab.

kornchaser

Post by kornchaser » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:44 am

meg_and_the_zoo wrote:Usually landlords are concerned about large tanks when used for fish because of there's a breach that much water can be a disaster. Plus that much weight on a 2nd+ floor apartment could be a no no.

Might want to touch base with your landlord to see if it's even an issue if not filled with water. I'm a former property manager and I never had a client complain about a larger tank for snakes, etc.

Zoo mom of 3 cats, a dog, a fish and 3 crabs Image
All it says is waterbeds or fish tanks over 20 gallons. One line that's it. Obviously you don't measure waterbeds in gallons but the manager insists that that means the size of the aquarium... The aquarium used as a terrarium to hold crustaceans not fish with less than a gallon in it on a first floor with foundation under our living room carpet. It's legit not a problem, they don't bark or go on the lawns but she's being difficult. I rather like it when my mom deals with those battles because she's like a peacemaker. All I want is my pets, no harm done.
@Kelly - I'd love if they each had 10g of space but you don't think 12-15 crabs in a 150g would be a bit overkill with personal hermit space??
-

kadynadair16

Post by kadynadair16 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:50 pm

My girls are exploring the new rearrangements in the tank! They are having a load of fun!!

7dwarfs

Post by 7dwarfs » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:15 pm

Well....Bashful is climbing everything, Sleepy is enjoying a nice swim, Hermie just came up from her molt last night and is exploring the new tank for the first time. Bruce, has been digging but not burying himself, and Happy just came home today and is being isolated in my other tank, dug down about 2 hours ago.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Momadopolis

Post by Momadopolis » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:50 pm

Doc and Ellie are both in the shell shop. They've both switched shells. Ellie changes at least every other day, she's a prissy diva. Doc is sitting on his old shell, guarding it. He keeps pushing Ellie away if she gets within a few inches of it. Gremlin is sitting where the moss pit usually is, staring out the glass at me, I'm sure silently condemning me for removing it.
18 PP..Doc, Ollie (Elephant), 8 Ball, Squidward, Plankton, Jägerbomb, Al Capone, Gremlin, Lila, Prozac, Paxil, Rufus, King Henry VIII, Queen Elizabeth I and Robert Dudley.
3 E's..
Oh, and 3 kids and a Husband.

RIP Krabby Patty and Baby

meg_and_the_zoo

Post by meg_and_the_zoo » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:12 am

I do believe he slept like this...silly crab Image

kadynadair16

Post by kadynadair16 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:55 am

meg_and_the_zoo wrote:Image

I do believe he slept like this...silly crab Image

Mine do that all the time

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

CrabbyEmerson

Post by CrabbyEmerson » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:24 pm

Mango is molting! :clap: She's been under for just over a month.
Blue is having a blast right now climbing the new driftwood I just added.