What are your crabs up to?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Laurie LeAnn

Re: What are your crabs up to?

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:39 pm

Mating season here, so my girl is in iso tank chilling out till crabby paddy gets his hormones under wraps..

Dan H

Post by Dan H » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:10 pm

CrabbyCakes wrote:This is my crab Richard Flare. He wants to be a jumbo.
This is a great shot :lol:

Also great name, is your crab one of the 4 horsecrabs? :D

I've been adding pictures in my thread about the crabitat rebuild I just did but figured I'd share one here as well. Jules decided that this tank was entirely too neat and required some tunneling and went into tunnel bore mode this evening after digging down by the water bowls and going under the saltwater. Tunnels by the little tunnel bore Jules are easily noticeable from the others as he likes to fluff the sub up behind him to "hide" his entrance where as my other crabs just dig obvious holes. After seeing the fluffed up sub I went back to my work only to hear noise on the glass a little bit later, what a shocker, the tunnel bore hit a wall:

"Who put this glass here? Oh well time to chill out and look cool." 8)

CrabbyCakes

Post by CrabbyCakes » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:09 am

I love it. You foiled his plan for escape!

I have let my husband name three of my crabs. One was Dookie Tooth (RIP) ((no idea how he came up with that,)) Kaiser Karl and then Richard Flare. I have so send frequent updates on what Richard is up to.
“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.” ― Aldo Leopold

Dan H

Post by Dan H » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:02 pm

Haha CrabbyCakes nice names :lol:

I always like seeing what people end up naming their crabs, I try to wait for the crabbies to tell me what their name is so to speak. I name them once they start showing some personality :D

CrabbyCakes

Post by CrabbyCakes » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:38 am

you should start a thread on what you named your crabs and why!
“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.” ― Aldo Leopold

shanedaman112

Post by shanedaman112 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:59 pm

CrabbyCakes wrote:you should start a thread on what you named your crabs and why!
That's a good idea o:
2 small PPs: Leonardo, Biscuit
3 medium to large PPs: Kermit Rocketson, Lulu, Strawberry (named because he is red, not actually a straw)
1 Neon Tetra: Stevie. 1 Crawfish: Larry
R.I.P. Larry, Crabby, and Hermie (all PPs) O'mally (Neon Tetra) John Cena(Crawfish)

Drakezilla

Post by Drakezilla » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:59 pm

It's a pretty quiet in the tanks around these parts. 2/6 are actually up, the rest are down molting. :roll:
-:- -:- -:- / / / -:- -:- -:-
Cᴜʀʀᴇɴᴛʟʏ;
{ 01 } PP; Cᴀᴘ ( 10 /13/15 ) **Looking for a new home in Tampa, Florida**

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:27 pm

My tanks are quiet during the day but at night the 55 is getting trashed. I don't know who the culprit is, but if I find him... ;) My biggest, Toad, has been down for a couple months and I hope he's molting since he put it off by almost 6 months after I got him. I can't blame him for the partying. The crabs in the 40 are much more polite - no giant craters or food dragged off and hidden.

All the crabs are eating, pooping, molting machines. I can officially only tell who maybe 6-7 of them are, and a lot of them are only coming up at night. I assume everyone is doing okay. I did just feed them and the daytime lights went out about an hour ago so everyone is slowly getting active. I'm currently watching one crab in the 40 (Legolas, maybe?) eating sand or something off the glass. I really wonder about them sometimes.
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

Lordhermitcrab

Post by Lordhermitcrab » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:19 am

After an upgrade I posted in the pictures section of the forum, I've been watching all of them.

They seem to have had no trouble figuring out how to get to the cork-bark second level through the vertical cholla logs. Smart little guys. Unfortunately, I've been eager to see them go to the pools to fill their shells, or even just drink from it. Nothing has happened yet.

They've all pretty much been sleeping next to the warmth of the heating pad, on the second level.

marandashermies

Post by marandashermies » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:47 pm

demanding respect as "King of the Tree"

Plotting an escape plan...

{125g~56g~55g} {30 PPs~ 10 Straws~ 5 Ruggies~ 2 E's~ 4 Viola's~ 2 Cavipes~ 2 Indo's}
2 Handsome Kitties {Rolan & Luka}
http://s628.photobucket.com/user/marand ... t=3&page=1

marandashermies

Post by marandashermies » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:43 pm

KellyCrabbieLove wrote:What do you see when you look at this picture? ImageFirst you see Iris and then what appears to be a grape. Nope. It's Aphrodite. She has no fear. Iris doesn't even bother to flip her out. Jockey on the other hand...Image She food blocks him until she is done or simply flips him out. Lol
Iris is beautiful!! I have never seen anyone's crab in the Mexican turbo. It looks even more gorgeous on! I have like 6 of them and they are totally snubbed. Was she wearing that long?
{125g~56g~55g} {30 PPs~ 10 Straws~ 5 Ruggies~ 2 E's~ 4 Viola's~ 2 Cavipes~ 2 Indo's}

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:03 pm

For like 2 hours. Lol

It is actually an African turbo shell. She looked so pretty in it. Ever since she took it off it has been empty. I wish she would wear it. I also have like 6 of them that aren't worn like you do.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

marandashermies

Post by marandashermies » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:30 pm

hahaha I was somewhat close with the name! :hlol: It is so tempting to pull them out, those and the magpies, but I am hoping maybe one day they will decide to wear something different..change it up a bit

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:28 pm

One of my jumbos loves the gross natural magpies. And a few of my mediums like pica shells. (A type of magpie)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

marandashermies

Post by marandashermies » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:13 am

I have a couple that are really pretty, but most of them are so-so. Right now, not one of mine is in a magpie or pica shell. For sure not buying anymore!