Help - did I do something wrong?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
finleyfoo

Help - did I do something wrong?

Post by finleyfoo » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:49 am

I thought about putting this in the emergency folder, but it is not a true emergency like most of the other posts, I am just worried I did something wrong!

I am a relatively new crabber - 5 weeks now. I finally have the tank set up all nice. Lots of mixed substrate, 2 water pools with bubblers, climbers, a second story with spaghnum moss, food dish, maintaining good humidity with a glass lid, and good heat with 2 heating pads adhered to the back.

So... I decided to create a humidity chamber and I rinsed out a small glass bottle and put in some sand and moss and put it in a corner on its side. Both crabs buried themselves somewhere (in 5 weeks, I have rarely seen them). I don't know where. I can't see them by looking around all the sides and underneath the tank.

Last night I made a net for them out of hemp and I took the glass bottle out to wrap it around (so they can climb all over it if they want). Then I replaced the glass bottle and smushed it down in the substrate. That's when I realized that I could have smushed a crab (if under there) or their tunnels. Ack! Rookie mistake!

What do I do, do I go digging and see if I can figure out where they both are and ok? Or do I just leave things alone?

I replace their food every night before going to bed (lots of yummy, fresh food) but as far as I can tell, no one comes out and does anything at night.

Cococrabgirl!

Re: Help - did I do something wrong?

Post by Cococrabgirl! » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:38 pm

I would check under where you had the bottles for crabs just in case.
My pets! Trixie(dachshund) Bella(yorkie poo) Hermy(female pp) Dory(male pp) (btw I named Hermy and Dory before I new their gender oops) lots of Marimos!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:40 pm

Agreed. I would very carefully dig where you pushed the bottle down.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
finleyfoo

Post by finleyfoo » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:36 am

I carefully dug in the area where I placed the glass bottle and no crabs. I have no idea where they are and have not seen them in a week!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:03 am

They will be fine. :) Just be patient :) Do you have a lid? I saw your other post. Please fill out the "emergency template" so we can check your tank specs. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
finleyfoo

Post by finleyfoo » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:53 pm

I filled out the emergency template but have not yet gotten feedback on it.

Thanks!