Crab Eating Plastic Plant??

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
itsjoel

Crab Eating Plastic Plant??

Post by itsjoel » Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:55 pm

I've had a little forest of plastic plants for over a month now. Today when I sat down for dinner, I heard a weird little noise. It was my crab eating one of those plastic plants. Earlier today, I tried giving her some mixed nuts with the food she normally gets, and I moved her food dish to the front. I did some reorganizing, then ended up just adding a new hide.
I replaced the plastic with some burlap and fishing net for now, just so she has something to climb on and do.
Any ideas why she might eat plastic?? She's normally very picky, not even eating fresh cut apple or carrot, which she loves dried.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Crab Eating Plastic Plant??

Post by JoeHermits » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:47 am

Are you certain she was eating it and not just picking at it out of boredom? The latter is fairly common.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
itsjoel

Post by itsjoel » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:09 am

JoeHermits wrote:Are you certain she was eating it and not just picking at it out of boredom? The latter is fairly common.

I'm fairly sure. I've heard someone say their crab will chew the plastic then spit it out, but I caught her too early to see and crumbs at the bottom.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:07 pm

Of course, she may just not realize what plastic is

crabocado

Post by crabocado » Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:56 am

My crab seems to be fond of soft plastic. Several times when she was on my couch, she would stumble upon my earbuds and go at it - eventually chewed or plucked a big hole in it. I was worried, and hunted around for the bits of plastic but never found them, so possibly she consumed them, but it was months ago so hopefully no harm done.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:54 pm

Do you offer a lot of leaf litter to your crab?
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
itsjoel

Post by itsjoel » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:13 pm

unfortunately, I no longer have my crab and I haven't for a few months, she now lives with crabbycaseys family! thanks for the answer though anyways!

crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:55 pm

itsjoel wrote:unfortunately, I no longer have my crab and I haven't for a few months, she now lives with crabbycaseys family! thanks for the answer though anyways!
Hey itsjoel! I just stumbled across this and figured I’d take the opportunity to tell you that Truffle is doing great! I would say I see her the 2nd most out of all 7…and she’s so pretty! She likes to climb and seems to be warming up to the wheel, haha. She gets along great with everyone too Image. I hope things are going good for you!

Topic author
itsjoel

Post by itsjoel » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:33 pm

crabbycasey wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:55 pm
Hey itsjoel! I just stumbled across this and figured I’d take the opportunity to tell you that Truffle is doing great! I would say I see her the 2nd most out of all 7…and she’s so pretty! She likes to climb and seems to be warming up to the wheel, haha. She gets along great with everyone too Image. I hope things are going good for you!

Thanks for the update, I really appreciate all of them! I'm so glad she's doing so well, she really loved climbing when she was with me too! :) I'm glad to know she doesn't just like hiding all the time and was just scared without friends

LednertHurman6

Post by LednertHurman6 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:56 pm

crabbycasey wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:55 pm
Hey itsjoel! I just stumbled across this and figured I’d take the opportunity to tell you that Truffle is doing great! I would say I see her the 2nd most out of all 7… and, she’s so pretty! She likes to climb and seems to be warming up to the wheel, haha. She gets along great with everyone too Image. I hope things are going good for you!

This is very cute crab and i think she is a bit shy... I love it :)